Author Topic: SlickEdit wants to create tag files that I don't want  (Read 6705 times)

alex

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
SlickEdit wants to create tag files that I don't want
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:52:12 PM »
SlickEdit wants to tag the C# and Visual C++ libraries.  I don't want it to.  I deleted the tag files for both, but every time I shut down SE, reload it, and then try to find a tag, it pops up a "looking for tags" file dialog (but only the first time) that I cancel out of.  It still handles my project's tags just fine.  I tried unchecking these options from Tools->Tag Files...->Auto Tag but I don't know if it's working because every time I go back to that dialog, those two options are rechecked.  (And it still has the somewhat annoying behavior described earlier.)  Did I do something wrong when I deleted the tag files?  Is there a way to fix this so that it both avoids popping up the dialog and avoids tagging those files?

Oops, forgot to metion: VS 11.0.2 under WinXP SP 2.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:09:31 PM by alex »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: SlickEdit wants to create tag files that I don't want
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:20:40 PM »
Did you delete the tag files from the filesystem or did you use the Tools->Tag Files dialog ?
In this dialog you can r-click an entry and do 'Remove Tag File -> Yes -> Yes'
Hope it helps.

HS2

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:42:29 PM »
SlickEdit creates tag files for Visual C++ and C# automatically as a convenience to you, so that you have symbol information for the standard libraries and in the case of C#, the .NET CLR.  We use the existance of the tag file as an arbiter, so if you just delete the tag file, either from the file system or using the Tag Files dialog, SlickEdit will notice that it's gone and rebuild it.

The best way to cripple these tag files is not to delete the tag file, but to just empty it out.  To do this, go to Tools > Tag Files..., select the tag file you would rather not enjoy the benefits of having, and click in the list of files, hit Ctrl+A to select all of the files, then hit "Remove Src. Files".  Be patient, it will take a while, because it removes the files one at a time.  But in the end you will have an empty tag file that will behave like as if it wasn't there.

alex

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 02:30:33 AM »
Thank you.  I literally never use the libraries that it has tagged, so the tags only get in my way when the tagging engine wants to look up a word that shows up both there and in our source code.