Author Topic: Key Repeat Rate  (Read 9233 times)

JakeMontgomery

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Key Repeat Rate
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:44:40 pm »
When I edit code, I would like the key repeat rate to be faster than it is for the rest of windows.  I would also like the key repeat delay to be a bit shorter.  Is there any way I can adjust these in SlickEdit?  If there is no direct way, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can modify the existing code to manually make the change?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 313
Re: Key Repeat Rate
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:10:04 pm »
When I edit code, I would like the key repeat rate to be faster than it is for the rest of windows.  I would also like the key repeat delay to be a bit shorter.  Is there any way I can adjust these in SlickEdit?  If there is no direct way, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can modify the existing code to manually make the change?

I guess you know you can set the key repeat rate using Windows control panel/ keyboard options.
You can also set the repeat rate and delay programmatically by setting the appropriate registry items in HKEY_Current_user/ control panel / keyboard.

To have different rates for different applications you would probably need to write a Win32 app that monitored which application had the focus and set the repeat rates and delays accordingly - or you could have commands/buttons in slickedit that let you select manually.

Graeme

JakeMontgomery

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 03:56:36 pm »

I guess you know you can set the key repeat rate using Windows control panel/ keyboard options.
You can also set the repeat rate and delay programmatically by setting the appropriate registry items in HKEY_Current_user/ control panel / keyboard.

To have different rates for different applications you would probably need to write a Win32 app that monitored which application had the focus and set the repeat rates and delays accordingly - or you could have commands/buttons in slickedit that let you select manually.

Graeme

Thanks for the reply, though it was not what was I was hoping.  (Yes, I do know about the windows setting ... but I only want this for edit windows in SE.) 

I recently migrated from the now defunct CodeWright, which was able to do just that.  Actually, if you had access to the full source code of an app, it should not be that hard to simulate key repeat using a separate thread and monitoring WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEUP messages for the edit window(s).

Thanks though,
  Jake

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 404
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:12:39 pm »
I must admit that I am frustrating with the keyboard repeat rate.  The root of the probably is that  most keyboards you buy have really slow repeat rates.  Any body know of some keyboards with fast repeat rates!!!!

Some of our developers are using refurbished  Northgate Omni Key 101 keyboards (REALLY OLD KEYBOARD).  The cool thing about them is that you can speed up the keyboard on Linux too by settings on the keyboard itself.

We could put some code driven speed ups in like Codewright.  This definitely isn't as good a solution as just having a keyboard with a fast repeat rate.  I think I tried implementing this a while ago and wasn't happy with it.  I can't say I'm against it.

JakeMontgomery

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:00:37 pm »
Thanks.  Would it help if I put in a feature request?  (And if so, how is that best done?)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:27 pm »
No need.  I'll take another crack at it :-)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:47 pm »
There seems to be a free program for speeding up the windows keyboard.  I've just started trying it out.  http://bandwidthcontroller.com/Keyboard%20King/index.html .  Dan says he tried it and he stopped using when his Tab key started working like Ctrl+I (2 years ago).  I'll let you know how it goes.

The UI, seem OK. It's nice that it lets you configure each key with different settings.  I had to set the delay a bit high for letter keys so I wouldn't get repeated letters.