Author Topic: SlickEdit's strength and weakness  (Read 4597 times)

muravjov

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit's strength and weakness
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »
Hi all,

Here is my use case. For a few years I use SlickEdit for C++ development on my Linux box, and it is quite amazing and better than anything I used before (I mean MS Visual Studio, Eclipse, KDevelop, Anjuta, CodeForge, Emacs/Vim etc; yes, I tried all of them). Context tagging, debugging, Slick-C macros and the editor itself are the best offering for Unix/Linux.

Well, everything was ok until I started to migrate from my old Linux desktop box (Ubuntu Dapper) to the new one (Ubuntu Karmic). I loved my old desktop because all things just works, and I delayed migration as long as I can :) . Because I knew that problems might arise with my SlickEdit (2008, 13.0.2). But I'm lucky and SlickEdit still runs well on recent Linux, except:
  • SlickEdit is not able to work with gdb v7.0; but I've tried old gdb v6.8 (I built it exclusively for SE) and the issue is resolved
  • SlickEdit console gives me some headache now but I can live with it
But if I couldn't resolve any of those critical issues (or other things that I dont know jet) I should have to update SlickEdit to new one (and again tweaking my dozen macros and some official ones in /opt/slickedit/macros; and again customizing hot keys and bunches of options) or find another IDE solution (not better).

So, how such problems might be resolved (in common)? I think that such features as debugging, shell and some others are more support nightmare than unique features that making SlickEdit the best among competitors. What about to make such headache parts Open Source? Because as for me SE has the complete feature set and I want it just to work. And to reach such a purpose I can find time to find out what is wrong with new gdb debugger and SE, and make some fixes ... if I could see corresponding SE sources.
 The recent example is JetBrains that made Open Source version of their IntelliJ IDEA, http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2009/12/intellij-idea-9-finally-out-with-great-new-features-a-performance-boost/

P.S. And jet a suggestion: is it possible to print non-latin letters in SE? To be exact, I would like to have an oppotunity to type russian letters :). I know there is a tradition/stereotype to type all the code (including comments) only in English. But from my experience all my coworkers dont want to hear about a serious IDE that cant do such things (non-latin letters). I think SE can gain more popularity with this simple feature. As for me I use special macro that emulate typing russian letters (what a power of Slick-C!!!).

Ilya Murav'jov