Author Topic: Windows SDK  (Read 3674 times)

photex

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Windows SDK
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:48:41 am »
Hey folks,

I'm bothered by the fact that selecting project settings that deal with using visual studio in any way *require* that you make the project first in Visual Studio. This seems to be a big missed opportunity. Sure I can start a new project with "other" and then rough out what I need, but that's really not much better than just using a Makefile. If I make a new project customization based on a visual c++ project shouldn't I just be able to use that as any other project? It would really be nice to be able to take advantage of the compiler options that are available, etc, etc.
Please tell me I'm just missing something and getting a little frustrated in vain. :)

So in summary, this is a plea to add a WindowsSDK project type for those of us who spent our money on Slickedit instead of visual studio! Why wouldn't you?

Cheers,
Chip

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Windows SDK
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
It's way harder to create a solution file than to read and modify one. If we create the file, we have to make sure we put all of the stuff in it that is needed by Visual Studio so they can parse and update the file. It's very challenging to keep up with format changes Microsoft makes just so we can read and modify their files. We just don't have the cycles to devote to being able to create their files from scratch so that they can be used by Visual Studio or other tools.

So, we've limited ourselves to just being able to update the list of files. All the compiler settings need to be done in Visual Studio

Are you working with an SDK that does not require Visual Studio? If so, can you provide us with more information about it? Are the project files you want us to create only to be used by SlickEdit and not another tool?

photex

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:50:55 pm »
Yep, I meant that it would be great to use the Windows SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c17ba869-9671-4330-a63e-1fd44e0e2505&displaylang=en)
the same way we can use gcc or mingw.
The windows sdk gives you the compilers, libs, nmake, and well basically all of the tools you actually need to write software for windows (32-bit and 64-bit). It just doesn't have the IDE and currently they don't provide Mfc (but if that's important you're probably better off using visual studio anyway). I have no intention of using the projects that would be created with anything other than SlickEdit. I build Qt and PyQt entirely with the SDK and never download visual studio. Also it comes with the project builder so you can still launch builds with project files that you've downloaded or generated with qmake/cmake.
It's actually a nice alternative to visual studio if you don't much care for their tools. :)

Hope this leads to interesting developments!

photex

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:11 am »
*small bump*

I was recently having a discussion about the windows sdk with a friend and thought I'd check back to see if there was ever any consensus in the halls of slickedit as to whether this would be a useful addition to the current project arsenal.
Should I just add this to the wishlist thread?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:20:46 pm »
We did have some support for those in a previous version, though I can't recall which. They didn't get used much and were very confusing to users who wanted to work with Microsoft Visual Studio. So, we took them out. There are still some vestiges left in the Custom Project stuff.

Select Project > New, then click the "Customize" button. You will notice that the list of project types in the "Customize Project Types" dialog has several more items in it than the "Project type" field on the "New" dialog. I don't see a C++ project type for use with the SDK, but there are entries there for C# and Visual Basic. It could be that those are a useful starting point.

Whichever is the best starting point (including "Other" if none give you a head start), you can modify that project type to create a new one. Click the "New" button. You will be prompted for a name and a project type to copy settings from. Once created, you are given the standard Project Properties dialog to customize it.

Even if you start from scratch, it shouldn't be too hard to configure the build commands you use with the SDK. Anything command you can do from the OS command line can be configured as a builld or other command on the Tools tab. 

At this point, we have no plans to add any additional support for the SDKs. Perhaps this is an area where the community can help each other. Once a custom project type is created it can be shared using the usrprjtemplates.vpt file. Of course, you'd have to do a little editing to merge a template into your list of templates.

photex

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »
Makes sense. I don't do a ton of development on windows actually which is why I don't want to spend the money on visual studio. But on the occasion I have some work that requires it, so I need to get something sorted so I don't waste so much time setting up the build.

Thanks again.