Author Topic: Java JDK installation and mac osx  (Read 2019 times)

glitch83

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Java JDK installation and mac osx
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:22:43 pm »
Hi, I'm a mac user on a trial for slickedit - I'm trying to set the JDK Installation Directory in Mac osx so that I can build my java project I imported and it seems not to work. Here is what I set it to:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/
I've also tried:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home/

Both don't work - they just say that it still needs the installation directory and that it can't find the tools...
what is the correct path to set it to for mac osx?

I'm using Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Java JDK installation and mac osx
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
This is a bit quirky, but you can get it to work with these steps. Sorry this is so confusing.

1. Open up any Java project. Open the project properties dialog.
2. On the project properties dialog, go to the Compile/Link tab. Make sure the Settings for: drop-list (at the top of the dialog, above the tabs) reads "All Configurations".
3. Click the ... button that is to the right of the Compiler: drop-down list. This brings up the "Java Compiler Properties" dialog.
4. On the Java Compiler Properties dialog, pick a compiler name. You'll see duplicates (like 1.5.0, 1.5, 1.6, 1.6.0, etc) Pick the one that contains all 3 version numbers. For you, this would be "JDK 1.6.0". It may also read something like "JDK 1.6.0_17". Always prefer the setting that has the most numbers in it for the version you want.
5. After you pick "JDK 1.6.0" in the Compiler Name: drop-list, move down to the Root: input field, and append the /Home/ directory name to the directory that is displayed. It should fully read: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/
6. After adding the /Home/ portion, click the Set Default button, to make this your default Java compiler setting.
7. Click OK to dismiss the Java Compiler Properties dialog.
8. Now back on your project's properties dialog, still on the Compile/Link tab, make sure you select "Default Compiler (JDK 1.6.0)" in the Compiler: drop-list.
9. Click OK to dismiss the project properties dialog.

You should now be able to build/debug without those error pop-ups. For subsequent Java projects, you should only need to do steps 8 and 9, making sure "Default Compiler (JDK 1.6.0)" is the setting in the project properties dialog.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:07:11 pm by Matthew »