Author Topic: VS 2008 and Windows 7 - could not write to key \Software\Classes\.sca.  (Read 6353 times)

mikebk

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I'm trying to install VS 13.0.2 under Windows 7 (RTM build). I get the following error popup message: "Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\.sca."

Is there a workaround/solution?

Thanks

Mike

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: VS 2008 and Windows 7 - could not write to key \Software\Classes\.sca.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:13:54 am »
Sounds like the installer needs to be run elevated.

mikebk

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »
Running the installer in an elevated command prompt window didn't work either. And, of course, it won't install in safe mode.

Mike

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:59 pm »
It might be that the parent key's rights have been flubbed.  I've had some luck chasing these things down with PerfMon - watch for / filter for "Access Denied" when running the installer and it may point you to the root of the problem.

Jim

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:56:50 pm »
This problem was fixed in the 14.x (SE 2009) installer. Even when the installer runs elevated, you'll still see this problem. Even though the installer reports it as an error, you can safely ignore it, and the installer will continue the installation.

So what's the deal? During the installation, we check to see if any other application has registered the .sca extension. If nobody has, we register the extension for the SlickEdit Source Code Annotation file type. However, while Norton AntiVirus doesn't register this extension, it does "guard" it somehow (and who knows their reasons...). You can try shutting down Norton AV, then running the install.

At any rate, the .sca association isn't essential to the functionality of SlickEdit, the 13.0.x installer warning/error can be ignored, and we don't even attempt the association in later versions of the installer.

mikebk

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:03:03 pm »
Thanks!

For the next user, I hit ignore a few times and Slickedit seems to be running fine now after most of a week.

Mike