Author Topic: Source Insight Features in SlickEdit® Core for Eclipse  (Read 11559 times)

vpalanis

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Source Insight Features in SlickEdit® Core for Eclipse
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »
I like to know whether 'SlickEdit® Core for Eclipse™' supporting the following Source Insight Features

Project File List
Search in Project File List
Project Document Type List
File Symbol List
Search in File Symbol List
Search in Project Symbol List
Multiple instances  
Project Report
Symbol info Preview
Previous Search Results
Relationship Window
Context Window
Toolbars
Stop search or search & replace

- Vijay
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:09:20 AM by vpalanis »

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Source Insight Features in SlickEdit® Core for Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »
Hi Vijay,

Thanks for the interest in SlickEdit, and sorry for the delay in the response.  I will try to answer your inquiries as best I can (not being all that familiar with Source Insight, myself), but I would recommend you download Eclipse 3.5 and install the SlickEdit Core for Eclipse 3.5.0 trial.  We offer a 2 week free trial (full product) so you can see if the plug-in will meet your needs.

Some of this functionality is provided by the Eclipse IDE, and not SlickEdit...we try not to duplicate functionality, whenever possible.  Here you go:

• Project File List - Yes
  • Search in Project File List - Yes, we offer the SlickEdit search capability from any project explorer view in Eclipse
  • Project Document Type List - I'm not sure about this one, if you could explain what it is I will probably be able to comment :/
  • File Symbol List - Yes
  • Search in File Symbol List - Yes
  • Search in Project Symbol List - Yes, you can accomplish this with our Find Symbol tool window
  • Multiple instances - Yes, you can launch multiple instances of Eclipse, but not multiple instances of the same workspace.  Also, you will not be able to save SlickEdit configuration changes when multiple instances of our plug-in are active if they are using the same configuration directory.
  • Project Report - Again, I'm not sure what this one is...
  • Symbol info Preview - Yes
  • Previous Search Results - You can save any search results you want in separate windows, and view them at your leisure, but other than this we don't have a way to automatically bring up the results of previous searches.
  • Relationship Window - Need more explanation to comment
  • Context Window - Yes
  • Toolbars - Eclipse has their own toolbar functionality, which you can customize.  SlickEdit toolbars are not exposed in Core.
  • Stop search or search & replace - Our plug-in does not have the background file search capabilities that our standalone product has, so we cannot stop a search or search/replace.

Hopefully that helps...let me know if you have any other questions.

- Ryan

vpalanis

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your detailed answers. We have installed SlickEdit Core for Eclipse 3.5.0 trial and exploring these options. But we are not about to get these options directly. Can you have video clips / training materials to show them?
Regards,
Vijay

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
Unfortunately we don't have any videos available, and I think the only training materials I could show you would be our help in Eclipse...which you should check out.  I think as you get more familiar with the Eclipse IDE you might find things a little more natural.  Let me know what specific functionality you having trouble finding and I will be glad to assist you.

- Ryan

vpalanis

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
Thanks Ryan. I can able to see these functionalites in Slickedit, not an Slickedit core.

Project File List
Search in Project File List
Project Document Type List
File Symbol List
Search in File Symbol List
Search in Project Symbol List
Multiple instances 
Symbol info Preview
Previous Search Results
Relationship Window
Context Window

Once again I will go through training materials in Eclipse and come back with my questions