Author Topic: weirdness when editing *.vcf file  (Read 4032 times)

eitheta

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
weirdness when editing *.vcf file
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
Sorry for being clueless...

I've been editing some *.vcf files (vCard address book).  When I do, the line containing the cursor turns to blue-text on pale-yellow-background.  And selection behaviour is wonky. e.g. Double-clicking the word yahoo, in "addy@yahoo.com" selects "yahoo.com" rather than just "yahoo".  Maybe there are other effects as well, that I've just not noticed.

I looked in Options::Languages::File Extension Manager  etc, and don't see any defs for *.vcf extension.

copy file1.txt file1.txt.vcf , and opening the *.vcf copy, results in the weirdness in a usually-normal file.
copy file2.vcf file2.vcf.txt   and opening the *.txt copy, "normalizes" behaviour.

Searching built-in help, and community.slickedit.com  for  vcf  gets nada.

What is this funny mode called (so I can look it up and read about it)?

Thanks!

eitheta

• Community Member
Re: weirdness when editing *.vcf file
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:18 pm »
... on WinXP, in case that matters.

MartyL

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
  • Synergex
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »
eitheta,

There is no document mode in SlickEdit for *.vcf files. They default to Plain Text. You can check the current mode by looking in the Document menu. Next to "Select Mode" it tells you the mode of the current file, "(Plain Text)".

I see identical behavior in *.vcf and *.txt files. Are you sure that you have not bound *.txt to another document mode to get a behavior different than plain text?

Tested in SlickEdit 14.0.2 on Windows XP SP3.

Marty

eitheta

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:05:40 pm »
Marty,

Thanks -- You're a genius!
My *.txt were Select Mode (text)...
and my *.vcf were Select Mode (Plain Text)...

Now I have a string to pull on, and I can map one to the other or whatever I want.

Thanks again!