Author Topic: feature set comparison between the stand alone version and the Core plug-in  (Read 7402 times)

DTownSMR

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
I've tried searching here and the specific pages but don't seem to see a feature chart comparing the two product offerings...have I missed it somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Unfortunately I don't think we have a feature chart comparing the two products (I think we should make one for the website), but hopefully I can help you distinguish between them.

Our Eclipse plug-in is basically the SlickEdit editor within the Eclipse environment, along with a few additional tools.  Within the editor you get pretty much everything:  all editing features, search features, language support, tagging, emulations, macro recording, etc. are available.  Other than the editor you also get the DIFFzilla differencing engine, our FTP and FTP Client tools, and several SlickEdit tool windows (which are ported to Eclipse as "Views"): Symbols, Class, References, and Preview.  There are other minor features which are added to the Eclipse main menu.

It might be easier to think about what we haven't ported to our Eclipse plug-in from our standalone product.  We try not to duplicate functionality when Eclipse does something perfectly well.  So all project management, build, debug, and version control support is provided by Eclipse.  Once in a while there is something that Eclipse does provide, which we replace or add to (if we think we offer an improvement :)).  Tagging would fall under this category:  if you are working in a C++ project in Eclipse with our plug-in, you will be using our tagging functionality with your source code instead of the CDT indexing.

In additon, our Eclipse plug-in is a Windows/Linux-only product, while our standalone product also supports Solaris, Mac, HPUX, and AIX.

Let me know if you have any other questions, feel free to download a trial of both products if you want.

- Ryan

DTownSMR

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
how about file handling support? is the Eclipse plug-in using Eclipse file support or are you using native SlickEdit support? i.e. will it have SlickEdit's superb file handling characteristics for very large files or the poor Eclipse performance? And along those lines...line sorting. Is it ported from the stand alone version?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Yes, file handling and the like are all handled by native SlickEdit support.  Opens and saves are channeled through Eclipse, but SlickEdit is doing the dirty work.

Line sorting is ported...are you referring to Tools > Sort?  That is under Format > Sort for the plug-in, and works the same way as in SlickEdit.

- Ryan