Author Topic: Migrating from VSE 10 to VSE 14 for Windows  (Read 3839 times)

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Migrating from VSE 10 to VSE 14 for Windows
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
Hi;

I'm migrating from VSE 10 to VSE 14 for Windows ( on a new and different machine ).

I have many, many preferences set.  Is there anyway I can easily import them into the new VSE installation?

I also have many, many, VSE projects defined.  I'm willing to edit config files if necessary, is there anyway to import my VSE projects into the new VSE?

Thanks in advance for any info

Steve

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Migrating from VSE 10 to VSE 14 for Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
12 to 14 would be relatively easy - just download the 13 installer and the 14 installer, then install them serially.  The version upgrade has worked well for me.  If you can get your hands on 11 & 12, you could do a serial installation and take it from there.  I don't know that everything would upgrade, but the bulk of it would.

I do NOT know of any other way of carrying out that task, as the export/import feature didn't show up until 14.

Jim

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
My project/workspace list was what I was worried about.  Several years worth of settings.

My network crew migrated my hard drive directories over.  So, I found that if I open the vpw files in the VSE it will save a listing of the projects.

Going forward is there anything special I should to do to make migrating easier in terms of taking my vpw settings and VSE preferences with me?

Thanks.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
I don't think so.  Upgrading from one version to the next seems to migrate things automagically, so you're probably okay with an upgrade.

Moving from one machine to another is pretty slick as well.  I got a new laptop last spring and installed slick on it as a matter of course.  I started to fiddle with the settings until I remembered the backup & restore features new to 14.  I backed up my desktop options & restored them on my laptop and was pleasantly surprised.  Very nice.  I imagine that it should work pretty well from here on out.

If anyone from the Slick team wants to add to that, I'd appreciate it as well.

Jim.