Author Topic: multiple windows same buffer non destructive operations  (Read 4425 times)

quack

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
multiple windows same buffer non destructive operations
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
If I have two windows open using the same buffer and I attempt a macro operation that just modifies the view it does so of both windows. Ie if I do a collapse to functions then both window buffers collapse. Is there a way to have independent views with these operations. (scrolling does work independently)

quack quack

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: multiple windows same buffer non destructive operations
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »
There is no way to do that right now since the selective display information is per buffer.

quack

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
thx, I will wait for it to show up in a patch.  ;D

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »
There is a brute force work around but you need to be careful. From the SlickEdit command line, you can use the "e +d <filename>" to edit another copy of the file. I do this sometimes in rare situations. You need to be careful using this since it may confuse certain features in SlickEdit. This would give you two copies of the file and you'll need to keep track of which one is the "real" file you want to save.  You can put one in read-only mode and keep the other read/write.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:16:10 AM »
Maybe create a new file of the type you're working on, select-all, copy, paste and do whatever you want in the new buffer.  If you "accidentally" save it, it will ask you for a file name, so you can abort it, and you'll have a very clear indicator of which is which.

I've done this occasionally when I didn't want to check the file out of source control (VERY LAZY those days) and want to try something out.  Of course, if you want to diff it, you'll have to save the file, but even that isn't so bad.  I'm in the habit of deleting multiple "Foo.x" files on a regular basis.

Jim

D_Ahern

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
Save the file, then open the backup file (FILE -> Backup History for... -> Right Click the latest file -> Open selected backup).

This is a quick way to have a reference copy handy as you are modifying the current file.