Author Topic: Intel c++ without visual studio use SlickEdit  (Read 7042 times)

Silas Tomkyn Combermache

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Intel c++ without visual studio use SlickEdit
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »
I'm trying to save some cash.  :)I know slickedit will work with visual studio no problemo, but I do not want to buy it. The Intel c++ website says you can use the Intell c++ compiler using only the free express version of microsoft c++ IF you can settle for the command line - no graphic ide integration. OK, I can live with that, but can I use slick edit with the visual c++ express and Intel compiler combination? I am a student so I can get the Intel compiler kind of cheap.
thanks.

(later) I found out that there is a difference between the 'academic' and 'student' versions of the intel development suite. Student version requires visual studio and academic version includes a 'vshell' program that enables use of only the express or free version of the microsoft compiler for command line use.
PB
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:46:45 PM by Silas Tomkyn Combermache »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Intel c++ without visual studio use SlickEdit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
For the lowest cost and best integration with SlickEdit, I would recommend using the GNU compiler and debugger. They are available for free from Cygwin and others. We have default project types for those and an outstanding front-end to their debugger. Is there a particular reason you want to use the Intel compiler?

You can use the Intel compiler with SlickEdit, but you'll have to configure your projects to build. Does that also come with a debugger? If so, we don't have a front-end for that, so you'll have to debug using the interface they provide.

Silas Tomkyn Combermache

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »
I'm thinking that gcc is fine for now, but I will kick myself later if I don't get this before graduation.
As a student they offer a great deal. The software development suite includes a  lot of goodies for about 120$. the intel compilers (c++ fortran I don't know) use the Edison Design Group front end which has full compliance for TR1 and the rest. If you Google the Edison Design Group, I think you will be impressed. I am not at the skill level to write a cluster-processor program, but it would be there if I need it (hah!). Their website claims there are new algorithms like parallel_invoke and parallel_for_each so you can use the new multi-core processors without a forehead the size of Nebraska. They claim to have better memory allocation with automatic replacement of the OS allocator with its scalable memory allocator. I can't say that I have felt a conscious need to replace the default version but all the technical jargon sounds impressive.

The code size and speed is supposed to be much better than gcc, but I can't say that I have had any problem with it either, to tell the truth. My programs compile fine and SlickEdit practically configured itself for gcc. I guess retail on all this in the Intel package is in the two plus thousand dollar range. I don't do math intensive programming, so all this may be something I need a lot less than I want.

C++ Compiler for Windows*
Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows
Integrated Performance Primitives (Intel® IPP) for Windows
Math Kernel Library (Intel® MKL) for Windows
VTune™ Performance Analyzer with Intel® Thread Profiler for Windows
Thread Checker for Windows
Threading Building Blocks for Windows
Trace Analyzer and Collector for Windows
MPI Library for Windows

Just google Intel compiler to see for yourself.
PB

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:51 PM »
There's no doubt that the Intel compiler is a excellent. It's just rare to hear from a student who is looking for that much power. For the lightweight code most students write, the GNU compiler is more than sufficient. You are very well informed and ahead of most of your peers.

The Visual C++ Express edition doesn't really play a role if you want to use SlickEdit and the Intel compiler. To do development, you need the following components:
1) Editor -- in this case, SlickEdit
2) Compiler -- in this case, Intel
3) Debugger -- again, should be part of the Intel package
4) Build system -- with SlickEdit, you have two choices: a) use SlickEdit's build system or b) use an external build system.

To use the Intel compiler with SlickEdit, you should use the "Other C/C++" project type. Select Project > New and expand the "C/C++" node to find it. You will have to configure the builds, yourself. Once you have created a project, select Project > Project Properties and then select the Build tab. That's where you can set which build system to use.

I haven't configured SlickEdit to work with the Intel compiler. In most cases, it's very straightforward. In Project Properties, you select the Tools tab and then configure the Compile, Build, and Link tools. You enter the command line to perform each of those tasks.

If you use an external build system, like make, then you just have to invoke make when you want to do a build. If you use a standard make system, SlickEdit can read the make files and add build targets from the files.