Author Topic: Class locations for Slick-Edit-Core-Required classes  (Read 7407 times)

brebey

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Class locations for Slick-Edit-Core-Required classes
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
I'm trying to install the SlickEdit Core in Flex Builder 3.  I installed Core 3.5 into plain ol' Eclipse without much trouble.  

However , when I try to install Core 3.5 in Flex Builder 3, I get the following complaints about missing classes, but I have no idea where to find these classes/packages:

org.eclipse.cdt.core
    org.eclipse.jdt
    org.eclipse.php.debug.core

How am I supposed to know where to get these packages??

Can anyone help?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Class locations for Slick-Edit-Core-Required classes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »
Ok...so Flex Builder 3 is an Eclipse 3.3-based IDE, and the Update Manager in that version does not really know how to respect "optional plug-ins".  It thinks that our CDT, JDT, and PDT support plug-ins MUST be installed when you contact the Update Site, which is not the case.  Obviously installing all of these plug-ins is a very non-optimal solution, so I looked into a way that you can install Core 3.5.0 (and the upcoming Flex support plug-in for Core 3.5.0) without going through all that.  It's still kind of a pain, and I'm a little surprised it works at all, seeing as Eclipse 3.3 is over 2 years old, but...it has been working good for me this morning.

I would still recommend using Eclipse 3.4.x and installing the Flex plug-in and Core into this environment, but I've put together an archive installer for Flex Builder 3 which has a pared-down Core 3.5.0.  You can download it via FTP, I PM'd you the info.  To install after downloading:

• Flex Builder 3 ships with Java 5 and will use that unless you force it not to.  Core 3.5.0 requires Java 1.6.0 or later...so we have to edit the .ini file for Flex Builder.  Close Flex Builder and edit ADOBEINSTALLDIR/FlexBuilder.ini.  You are adding the -vm argument to point to the Java 6 executable on your machine.  You want it to look like the screenshot below.
  • Start Flex Builder 3, go to the Software Updates wizard in Flex Builder 3, choose Search for new features to install, and then click New Archived Site, and browse to the downloaded installer ZIP file.
  • Click Finish, and select SlickEdit Core for Eclipse 3.5.0 on the next screen.  Click Next to begin stepping through the wizard, and if it ever asks you about "Optional Features", just deselect all of them and continue.
  • After installing you will have to restart Flex Builder, and you should be good to go.

Let me know how it goes.  I will post the new Flex support plug-in soon, and that should be an easy install and download.

- Ryan

EDIT: Flex Support Plug-in for Core 3.5.0: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=5622.0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:48:54 pm by Ryan »

brebey

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:46 pm »
Ryan,

Thanks for trying to get this working for me!

The installation went perfectly, and it seems like all was going to be well.

When I start FlexBuilder 3 and attempt to open a file with SlickEdit Core, though, I get the error that you see in the attached screen shot.

Any ideas what this is???

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »
D'oh  :-\!  Can you post the error log from that workspace (the .log file under WORKSPACEDIR/.metadata), or post a screenshot of what it looks like when you hit the details button on that dialog?  If you do that, make sure you scroll all the way down...I need to see what's first.

- Ryan

brebey

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:39 pm »
Sorry, Ryan...I should have told you this in my prior message:  The details don't say anything different.  It just says:

Code: [Select]
Error opening the editor.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.slickedit.eclipse.plugin (312).

I was hoping that 312 code would tell you something.  No?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:54 pm »
Can you close Flex Builder, add -vstrace to the FlexBuilder.ini file (on the line BEFORE -vmargs), and start the IDE.  As soon as you try to open a file with SlickEdit there should be a bunch of debug spit out to the java.exe cmd window...can you post a screenshot of what it says to this thread?

Did you uninstall Core 3.4.0 before installing 3.5.0?  I'm not sure if you have to do that or not, but it's probably a good idea...I can go through this scenario and test it out.  You can uninstall through Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration, and under the configuration node you should see what SlickEdit Core version is installed (see pic).  You can right-click and uninstall.  Are there any old SlickEdit plug-in directories laying around at DOCUMENTSDIR/Flex Builder 3/configuration/eclipse/plugins/?  If so, you can delete them...and do the same for the features subdirectory...anything that is _3.4.0 instead of _3.5.0.  Again, I'm not sure if this is the issue, but something could be getting confused inside Eclipse.

Sorry for the troubles.

- Ryan

EDIT:  The .log file might have information even if the "Details" is showing up blank...you should check it just in case.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:37:40 pm by Ryan »

brebey

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »
There isn't any Java Cmd window opened, and thus nowhere to view the output.

Is there an argument to FlexBuilder.exe that I should include to produce this window?  (I'm currently running FlexBUilder.exe with no arguments at all).

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:07:34 pm »
You did the FlexBuilder.ini step above (where you add the -vm argument pointing to the Java 6 exe), and there is no Java cmd window opened?  That should take care of it...did you do that step?  Are you running with Java 6?

If this is the case, I'm a little confused...but to make this window appear you need to run Flex Builder with -vm java.exe -vstrace.  I'm confused because putting the -vm followed by the path to the Java 6 executable in the FlexBuilder.ini file should take care of this...

- Ryan

brebey

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »
Ah-Ha!  Here's a .log.  This .log was cleaned out before starting FlexBuilder, so everything here is from one attempt to start FlexBuilder and open a file with SE Core.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Awesome, thanks...according to the .log, you aren't running with Java 6.  There is no String.isEmpty() method in Java 5, and that is what I see in the .log that Eclipse is complaining about.  That should fix the problem...let me know.

- Ryan