Author Topic: Window Navigation  (Read 10603 times)

paulben

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Window Navigation
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:28 pm »
I just moved from v4 to v11.0.2. Nice product, lots of great new stuff. However I can't seem to navigate around my edit windows like I could in v4.

In v4 the window next/prev functions seemed to move in the order that I had viewed the windows. So if I while looking at file A I would select file D from the Window menu, the prev button would take me back to A and then the next button would take me back to D, etc.

In 11.0.2 I can't find anything that behaves that way. next-window and prev-window don't do that. In fact next-window quickly goes into a 2 window loop, taking me back and forth between 2 windows (I'm guessing that's a bug, not a feature). Also next-buffer and prev-buffer don't behave like v4 either. I can't figure out what order next/prev-window and next/prev-buffer use. I've tried to observe some pattern but it hasn't become apparent.

So I have a couple questions:
- Is there any way to get the v4 behavior back? I.e. the list order is the order I viewed the windows?
- What is the window order that next/prev-window and next/prev-buffer use?

The context of this is that I work on a massive product, something like 20k .java, .xml and other files arranged in hundreds of component directories each with it's own rather complex subtree's. As I cruise around with tags and grep it's not unusual for me to have 20 or 30 buffers open. It's annoying to have to do Window > More Windows.. and search for a buffer.

Thanks, Paul

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 397
Re: Window Navigation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:55:38 pm »
I think you need to turn off "Smart next window" (Tools>General Options>More Tab).  This new feature (not that new now) allows you to switch between windows the way Alt+Tab switches between applications.   Hold down Ctrl, hit tab one ore more times, then release.  SlickEdit by default reorders the windows so when you hit Ctrl+Tab you switch back to the window you switched from.  The idea is you never need to use Ctrl+Shift+Tab and that it's likely that you will want to view something you recently viewed.  This is a bit of a standard now.

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 09:23:22 pm »
Ah...so the 2 window loop is "smart next window", a feature indeed. Ok, reasonable enough. But I still would like to get the v4 ordering back if I could, or some explanation of the next-window or next-buffer ordering.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:34 pm »
Did you try turning it off?  "Smart next window" (Tools>General Options>More Tab). 

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:40 pm »
Yes, I turned off smart next window and I no longer get the switching back and forth between two windows. That helps. Thanks.  But next-window and next-buffer still don't switch in the order I got in v4.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:45:13 pm »
Can you give me a simple example of what's different. I wrote the code for this so you can blame me :-)

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 02:35:53 pm »
Here's what I believe is happening. In v4 selecting a window from the Window menu or the More Windows... list causes the slected window to move to the top of the buffer order. In v11 it does not.

In v4 lets say I have 5 edit windows open A, B, C, D, and E, and the next/prev-buffer functions cycle through them in that order. If B is the active window and I select E from the Window menu, then E becomes the active window and the order changes to A, B, E, C, D. So if I do next-buffer from E I go to C and prev-buffer goes to B.

In v11 if the prev/next-buffer order is A, B, C, D, and E, and B is the active window and I select E from the Window menu, then E becomes the active window but the order does not change. So if I do next-buffer from E I go to A and prev-buffer takes me to D.

Note that in v11 opening a new edit window by any means does seem to insert the new window in the order as in v4, it's just selecting an existing buffer does not.

Actually, since I've got the attention of a product developer :-), here's what I would really like. A few years back I was a Visual Studio user and the Window menu there displays the Windows in the order last viewed. Whenever a new Window becomes active it moves to the top of the list in the Window menu and the others all move down one. I loved that feature, used it constantly, it always kept the most active windows 2 clicks away and right at the top of the list. I was surprised to find SlickEdit had a static Window menu window list.

One other thing while you're at it ;-), if you could make the More Windows... list have columns with headers I could sort on, and make the window vertically sizable, that would be great. The columns I would like to see are: path, filename, type, date modified, date created, modified flag. And also make it modal (or modeless I forget which) i.e. I can just click on something else and it goes away, or if I open a .java file from Windows Explorer it opens the file in Slickedt (it doesn't now if More Windows... is open).

Again this is in the context of having 30 buffers open on a regular basis. These things would really help. Right now I have to click Window > More Windows... and then often squint, hunt, scroll to find what I want.

Thanks

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 05:25:06 pm »
One last suggestion: If you could make the Window menu window list longer than 9, allow the number to be specified in the options dialog.

Thanks

PChady

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 05:51:37 pm »
Paulben,

Funny that you posted on the "more windows" options...
I posted something along the same lines in the thread "need faster way to close buffers..."
Your wish list looks eerily similar to mine...  8-)

Pete

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 06:18:31 pm »
I will look into readding the "reorder" feature of v4.  I'm suprised I changed this.  As for the Window menu ordering and size, I definitely agree that the order should be like the recent history of the File menu or the Project menu.  Unfortunately, we are relying on Windows Win32 MDI to update the window menu and that's why it's not so good.  I don't know if I can change this in a reasonable amount of time but I check.  FYI: The macro variable def_max_filehist can be set to increase the File menu history. 

Given the number of posts about windows lists and buffer list, this is obviously an area that will need and get more attention.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 06:52:30 pm »
Ahh ... good news !
And please take into account a filter feature (as perfectly working in cbbrowser) for project-load.

Good luck finding slick solutions for these things !

HS2

BTW: There are already some related postings w/ some proposals...

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 08:00:42 pm »
Thanks! Ummm...do I have to do something after Macro > Set Macro Variable...? I changed def_max_filehist from 9 to 25 and still getting 9. Closed and restarted the editor, still 9.

Paul

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:08:41 pm »
That may not have been totally clear. I mean I'm still getting 9 windows in the list. def_max_filehist is set to 25.

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 10:11:55 pm »
That may not have been totally clear. I mean I'm still getting 9 windows in the list. def_max_filehist is set to 25.
I'm pretty sure def_max_filehist controls the File MRU, not the Window menu list of windows.

When I changed def_max_filehist, stopped and re-started SlickEdit, it still had 9 items in the File MRU, until I opened more files.

I've been wanting to extend the list of files for a long time -- would there have been any way to discover def_max_filehist except by learning about it here?

paulben

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 01:35:01 pm »
Yes, that seems to be the case, I now have 20 files in the File menu history list.