Author Topic: Need a faster way to close buffers  (Read 9310 times)

ChuckRice

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Need a faster way to close buffers
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:19:13 PM »
When building and then scanning for warnings/errors, sometimes as many as 20 to 30 buffers get opened automatically. This is nice for finding the errors, but then I have to scroll through the tabs to locate the files I am most interested in. To close the unneeded buffers, I have to either close all, or right-click on the buffer tab and drag to select the close. It would be much nicer if you would give me a close button on the tab to click.

Also when there are so many buffers open, it would be nice to have the option to stack the tabs instead of scrolling them. When using long filenames, the tab area fills up really fast. -Chuck-

j0hnw

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Need a faster way to close buffers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »
What about using a hot-key for "Close" ? For me, using Brief emulation it's Ctl-minus. It will close the "focus" buffer very quickly.

I do like your idea of "stacked" tabs, because I too often find myself with a long row of buffers, requiring scrolling (and often not know which direction initially to search).

My $0.02,

j0hnw

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »
PS. You can also use the "List Buffers" option on the right-click context menu. Unfortunately, you can't do multi-select for "Delete", but it does allow you to quickly find the buffers you're interested/not-interested in.

j0hn

ChuckRice

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »
What about using a hot-key for "Close" ? For me, using Brief emulation it's Ctl-minus. It will close the "focus" buffer very quickly.

I do like your idea of "stacked" tabs, because I too often find myself with a long row of buffers, requiring scrolling (and often not know which direction initially to search).

My $0.02,

That does work, but generally the focus buffer is not the one you want to get rid of. The close box on the tab would set the focus and delete the buffer all in one click. -Chuck-

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi,

You might like my modification to file tabs ;D: you can close a buffer via double click on the tab or use the middle button (like Mozilla Firefox).  If you double click/middle button click on the empty space of the file tabs bar, a new buffer will be created.

only for v11.0.1.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 04:29:51 PM by megatops »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »
In the v11 release, a shift-left mouse click in the File Tabs toolwindow will also close the file buffer.  Try it, it works!

PChady

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:21:35 PM »
Hello!

I am an old Codewright user, migrating to Slickedit.
One of the things I was poking around here for was info on the "list buffers" window, and whether I could
massage it (or use some other thing) to work the way I was more used to. 
[I am comparing to Codewright's "Window manager"]

Essentially, the only thing I really used the window manager for was to:
 - sort buffers/windows  by PATH of the source file,
 - select multiple buffers based on the Path
 - close that group of files.
  so that I could identify groups to close quickly, usually based on WHERE the files are.
   (I can have many files open that have the same filenames, but are in a different tree... e.g. Jackie's work area,
     Jeff's work area, My work area, etc.)

I see the comment about "not being able to do multiple selections", and so that's one item that's not the same.
I guess I can live with that, and hit the "Close" button or key multiple times.

But - the main thing is I don't seem to be able to sort by Path.  Clicking "order" seems to change the  list from "alphabetical by filename"  to "something else I don't understand".  But it doesn't ever seem to sort by Path. Plus, the display of the paths is not aligned.. the paths just immediately follow the filename, and so can be shifted right and left, making it hard to manually pick out the files that do have the same path.

Is there any alternative way to do this?

Incidentally, on the topic of "tabs", I almost never use the Tabs (in any program) if I can avoid it.  I hate this particular
GUI convention. (especially in some programs where the tabs move around when you click one. Argh!)

I think tabs are very efficient if you have only 2 .. 6 items open at the same time.  But if I have 50 open,
then trying to read and scroll sideways is messy. It's visually easier to scan a vertical list.
I always have the "Defs" window open, because this is most like Codewright's "outline" view. So the buffers are in a nice vertical list.    One deficiency with this method, is that new "untitled" buffers do not appear in the list, until you save them
with a name. So you have to find them some other way (next/prev buttons...).
Also, a minor nitpick that I've just learned to live with, is that it always "expands" the definitions when you switch to a new buffer, so you just have to hit collapse again if you don't want it.

FYI: I am running 11.0.0 - I need to get the new update..  sorry if my comments are out of date.

I would love it if something like those "tab mods" posted by Ding to close the files worked in the Def view, too.

But, the key thing I'm looking for is a vertical list that can be resorted for easy grouping.
It would be absolutely ideal if the list buffer display was like a windows explorer Search-results window.
  click on Name to sort by name,
  click on Path  to sort by path,
  click on Time  to sort by age,   
  sort on type (.c, .h, .txt),
  sort on whether the file has pending changes..

If I could do that, I might just use the buffer list full time instead of the Def's window.  8-)

Thanks,
Pete

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:07 PM »
Use the Window->More Windows (Titled: "Select Window" when it's open) dialog.  I'm not sure why there are two dialogs that do almost the same thing, nor why the Select Buffer dialog is so much less useful, but is the one that is linked to the Ctrl+Shift+B hotkey.

PChady

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »
Phil,

Great!  this does what I was looking for.
It even has multiple selections.

The <untitled> buffers do show up in this list as well (as blank lines),
so at least there's a way to get to them, too.

thanks!
Pete