Author Topic: Cygwin GCC not showing up  (Read 4327 times)

pvonkaenel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Cygwin GCC not showing up
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
Someone in my team has just installed the trial version of Slickedit with the intention of using it to build Cygwin based GCC projects.  However, his fresh install does not have Cygwin GCC as a compiler option, only VS2008 which is also installed on his machine.  He already has Cygwin installed with GCC and it is in the path.

I have been using a licensed copy of the Slickedit for years, and have the Cygwin GCC available, but I never did anything special to make it show up.  Is there something we need to do to make the Cygwin GCC compiler show up as a valid compiler in Slickedit?

Thanks,
Peter

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Cygwin GCC not showing up
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »
By any chance is this new installation on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 machine? We've seen problems with newer distributions of Cygwin running on the newer version of Windows. I don't know the exact details about what's going wrong, but there is something amiss with how Cygwin is creating (or Windows is failing to evaluate) the Unix-style symbolic links.

A couple notes...
1) Take a look at the compilers.xml file in your configuration directory. My guess is that yours does have a valid GCC setup in there. You can copy/paste/modify your corresponding <C_Configuration/> settings. This is probably a little faster than configuring a new compiler setup via the Options dialogs.

2) You may have to add the Cygwin\alternatives directory (in addition to the Cygwin\bin directory) to the PATH, either on the system/user envrionment variables or as the environment variables set on the Workspace (.vpw file).

3) You will probably need to tweak the compiler and linker name once you create a new GCC project. I've found that if I replace the instances of "g++" to "g++-4", then it works. Again, I think this is a symbolic link issue.