Author Topic: Certain Emacs emulation does not work when a file is in Python mode  (Read 2671 times)

KentZo

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I am new to SlickEdit and I would like to use Emacs Key emulation in Slickedit.

I have discovered a problem. If the file that i am currently working on is c file(choose the mode to be C mode), most of the emacs emulation key is working, however if the file is in python mode.(for a python file), most of the emacs key emulation will not work. For example, to cycle through the buffer C-X b. When the file is python mode, it will says the key is undefined. Most of the emacs keys will become unavailable. But some are still working e.g, C-S and C-R to do incremental forward and backward search.

So far the workaround for this problem is to change the mode to be C file for the python file. But i guess this is not the way to fix it...I should be able to use most of the emacs key even the file mode is in python.

Any way to solve this problem? Btw, what is the purpose of the mode of a buffer/file? To allow the editor to recognize the syntax of certain language correctly?

Thank you!

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: Certain Emacs emulation does not work when a file is in Python mode
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »
I am not able to reproduce your problem.  The behavior of C-X b is the same whether I have a C file or a Python file open. 

What version of SlickEdit are you using?  If you switch back to the C file after being unable to use the commands with the Python file, are you able to use the commands again?

Oh, and you are right about the purpose of a language mode.  Our language-specific behavior and settings are triggered off the mode for a file.

KentZo

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:18:14 am »
Here are the detail of my SlickEdit installed...i guess it is pretty old...

SlickEdit Version 11.0.0 Copyright 1988-2006 SlickEdit Inc.

Serial number: WB821902

Technical Support Phone: 1 919.473.0070
Technical Support Email: support@slickedit.com
Contact Product Support: click here
View Maintenance Details: click here

Build Date: March 25, 2006
Emulation: GNU Emacs

Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 3

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\358501\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\11.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Configuration Drive Usage: 16235MB / 128005MB
Spill File: C:\DOCUME~1\358501\LOCALS~1\Temp\$slk.3 (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Spill File Directory Drive Usage: 16235MB / 128005MB

Memory Load: 46%
Physical Memory Usage: 979MB / 2095MB
Page File Usage: 858MB / 4033MB
Virtual Memory Usage: 150MB / 2097MB

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49:40 pm »
Even after firing up v11, I'm still unable to reproduce this problem. 

Does this happen with a clean configuration?  To find out, first backup your configuration (probably found under My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\11.0.0).  Then run SlickEdit again.  It will use all the default values. 

If you get the same result, please post your exact steps to see this issue.  It may be that I'm missing some small crucial step.