Author Topic: Flash Builder 4  (Read 6412 times)

mreaves

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Flash Builder 4
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
I have the Flash Builder 4 plug-in for Eclipse, I install the core tools and it all works so I can edit etc in the Eclipse IDE.

However, I have not got any code completion, so if I start to type graphics it doesn't extend the word, typing graphics. doesn't give me any methods.

What do I need to do to get it all working with code completion / hints etc?

mreaves

• Community Member
Re: Flash Builder 4
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
Please note I really want it to code complete for ActionScript 3.0 the most.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
Are you referring to getting tagging for the flash libraries, like flash.events.*?  Unfortunately they stopped shipping a builtins or headers file that SlickEdit would tag, back in Flash Player 8.  Now all the symbols are contained in precompiled SWC files, which SlickEdit cannot tag yet :(.  We would need some kind of tool to extract the symbols from the SWC files, or support tagging SWC files (which is already on our feature tracker).

You should still get tagging for any user defined ActionScript classes in your project.  Also, you can tag some of the libraries, such as mx.  All the source for this is under the frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx directory of the 3.2.0 Flex SDK.  To add these files to your ActionScript tag file, go to Tools > Tag Files, select the as.vtg file under the "ActionScript" Tag Files heading, and click the Add Tree button at the bottom of the dialog.  Then just browse to the mx directory and click OK.

- Ryan

mreaves

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
Yes, so when I have something like...

var tsprite:Sprite = new Sprite();

when I then type...

tsprite.

I want it to list all the member etc of Sprite.

At the moment it feels pretty useless without this.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
I understand your frustration.  We are working on a builtins file for SlickEdit 2010 which will provide tagging support (completions, list members, etc.) for Flash.  Should this get done, I can release it to our current SlickEdit Core users and you will be able to use it within Eclipse with our plug-in.  I will keep you posted.

- Ryan