Author Topic: File filter using *.* blanks all files  (Read 4443 times)

jerrycape

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
File filter using *.* blanks all files
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:31:09 am »
Using SlickEdit 15 day demo. Noticed that file filter using *.* blanks all files. If just * is used then all files return. Is this considered normal?

ScottW, VP of Dev

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1471
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:52:34 pm »
What dialog or tool window are you using that filter in?

jerrycape

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »
Using the main "open" dialog window seen on left side of screen. If filter is blank all files appear. If filter is changed to *.c then only *.c files appear. Then change filter back to *.* and all files disappear. Repeatable.

ScottW, VP of Dev

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1471
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:44 pm »
I can't reproduce this issue. When I use *.*, I still get a list of all of the files. What platform are you on? Can you post the information from Help > About SlickEdit?

jerrycape

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:20:29 am »
Yes. Here is the Help About info.  Also fails when the "Makefile" filter type is selected. (Makefile is defined as *.*)

SlickEdit Version 14.0.2.2

Serial number: WB_TRIAL
License type: Trial
License expiration: 26-apr-2010
License file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\slickedit\14\slickedit.lic

Build Date: July 08, 2009
Emulation: CodeWright

OS: Windows XP
Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 3
Memory: 58% Load, 461MB/785MB Physical, 93MB/2097MB Virtual
Screen Size: 1280 x 1024

Project Type: No project open
Language: No file open

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV14.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,30800MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Jerry\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\14.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,30800MB free)


ScottW, VP of Dev

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1471
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:20 pm »
I'm on the same platform and used the same emulation, and I still can't reproduce this (see the attached picture, OpenToolWindow.jpg).

Oh! It just occurred to me that you are not referring to the Open tool window that I show in the first picture, since it doesn't have a list of filters to select from. I think you mean the Open dialog that is accessible from that tool window. I have attached a screenshot of that as OpenDialog.jpg. 

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem in that dialog either. I'm confused, though, because the filter (Files of type) cannot be blank. Are you typing the filter in the "File name" field? When I select "All Files (*.*)" I get all files. When I change to "C/C++ Files (*.c;*.cc...", I get those files. Switching back to All Files gives me all files. I cannot type in that field. I can only select from the list.

Can you post a screen shot of what you're doing so I can see where you're typing, etc.?

jerrycape

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:32:53 am »
Attached are 2 screen shots. Notice that slickedit1.bmp shows all files when using a filter consisting of the single character *. File slickedit2.bmp shows the same directory using a filter of *.* and all files have disappeared. If the filter is changed back to *, all files in the directory re-appear.

ScottW, VP of Dev

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1471
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: File filter using *.* blanks all files
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
Thanks. That was the help I needed. Yes, I can reproduce this issue. It has already been fixed in v15 which is slated to be released *soon*.

You can also use the Filename field at the top of the Open tool window to filter. I got in the habit of doing that, which is why my initial tests weren't producing the same result.