Author Topic: Calling Tool B from tool A, when B is a SlickEdit macro  (Read 2366 times)

mrothman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Calling Tool B from tool A, when B is a SlickEdit macro
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:11:12 pm »
I'm using SlickEdit, linux, 14.0.2.2.  In the Project Properties dialog, Tools tab, when you specify a tool (let's call it "A"), you have the option of telling it to run another tool ("B") before A runs (Advanced button gives you this option).  I'm finding that if "B" is a SlickEdit macro, this doesn't work - vsbuild reports "Command not found", even though I have the "Command is Slick-C macro" box checked for B's definition.  If I run B directly from the menu, it works fine.

A and B are not their real names.  :)

Any ideas?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Calling Tool B from tool A, when B is a SlickEdit macro
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:46:57 pm »
Unfortunately, that is not going to work.  vsbuild runs as a separate process outside of SlickEdit and does not run Slick-C commands.  When Tool "B" is executed standalone, SlickEdit knows to handle the tool with the interpreter rather than shelling out to vsbuild.  There don't appear to be any sanity checks warning about this in the Advanced options, nor can I find it documented anywhere in the help.  I will file both those as issues and have them corrected. 

What might work as workaround would be to record  or write a custom macro that executed both project tools separately, and use the custom macro as the Slick-C command for the project tool.