Author Topic: Default Window pane size...  (Read 5275 times)

rschaeff

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Default Window pane size...
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
Is there a way to adjust the default window size on a new window....  I have a really wide screen. The left side is the 1"margin which I can select... but I can't figure out how to set the default right side....

Again this is on version 7.0 ...so it may or maybe not be the same, but any suggestion would be appreciated.

(Besides upgrade :)... I've been losing that battle for four years now )

Thanks,
Rick

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 92
Re: Default Window pane size...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »
Before default window size was added to SlickEdit I had a macro I used to do that, unfortunately that was several computers and jobs ago so I don't have a copy of it anymore.  Here is a thread with a macro you can start with.  I seem to remember there being several picky details that made it less straight forward than Graeme's suggestion, but with some playing around it works.

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=348.0

- Tim

jwiede

• Hero Points: 12
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »
Actually, there seem to be some general window and dialog sizing issues in 2010 (e.g. 15).  I've got a laptop with a 1440x900 native LCD resolution, not particularly tiny, but the settings dialog refuses to fit in the default dialog window (and provides no scroll bars either).  Auto-sizing is good, but designing dialogs that _require_ vertical resolutions larger than 768 to display seems a bit ill-considered, you're effectively excluding most laptops.

This is with Fedora 10, Thinkpad T61, etc.  Nothing I do gets the Settings dialog bottom buttons visible, which effectively renders Slickedit useless on this machine.  I've noticed similar situations where Settings requires more space than available on Windows (Win7, on a 1900x1200 display!!) which leads me to think there's something wrong with how Settings is determining what size of layout it should be using.

Tell me what further information is needed, and I'll be happy to provide it.  This is with release 15.0.0.5 and I've applied the latest hotfix available as of today.  Any help appreciated at this point, I'm almost ready to delete 15 and reinstall 14 at this point, as at least 14 didn't make 900 vertical res displays feel "cramped".

David_O

• Hero Points: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
I would check what font you are using for dialogs.  Go to Tools > Options > Appearance > Fonts and in the Element combo-box choose dialog.  My Linux box defaults to Bitstream Vera Sans size 8.  Try this or even something smaller and see it that helps get everything to fit.  Please let us know how it goes.

rschaeff

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
Hello all,

I was finally able to upgrade to version 15.

I was able to find the feature I was hoping. 

Tools->options->Editing->Editor Windows =>  Key NewWindowSize.New Width.. There's an option
"Use size of active window when new window is created.

Or I can force custom window width. Haven't decide on my preference yet. But this is was I was looking for.