Author Topic: Hot Fix Download Page Now Available!  (Read 26157 times)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Hot Fix Download Page Now Available!
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »
My creed is, "Nothing is ever easy." It's not my motto, just my creed. Are there any Latin scholars out there who could translate this for me so I can add it to the family crest?

It took longer than expected, but the Hot Fix Download page is now ready at www.slickedit.com/hotfixes. A hot fix is one or more files that are applied to a specific version of SlickEdit. Most hot fixes contain one or more macro files, but we also have the capability to distribute libraries.

You install hot fixes using the hotfix loader, Help > Product Updates > Load Hot Fix. The loader will make sure that the version of SlickEdit matches the version specified in the hotfix. Applying hot fixes to a different version can cause serious problems, and this is not supported. Also, please do not attempt to apply the hot fixes to the SlickEdit Plug-in for Eclipse. We do not test them on that product so we cannot predict the results.

Important!
The original version of the hot fix loader had a bug in it that prevents it from loading a hot fix stored in a directory which has a full path containing spaces, such as any directory below "My Documents" on MS Windows. There is a separate hotfix for that problem: hotfix_se1102_hotfix.zip. Please install this first. Yes, there is a hot fix for the hot fixer.  :)

There is no uninstall mechanism for hot fixes. If you install a hotfix and it causes you any difficulty, your remedy is to reload the original macro files. The hot fix loader copies the hot fix files to your config directory, so the original macro files are still in your macro subdirectory. You can also fall back to a previous state by saving a copy of your config directory before installing a hot fix and restoring it if anything goes wrong. Periodically backing up your config directory is a good idea anyway.

--Scott

apnakon

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Hot Fix Download Page Now Available!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:06:40 PM »
Hi Scott,

Sorry mate - but I can't get hotfixes to work at all.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I try to apply a hotfix (even the very first one, to fix hotfixes), I get the error :

"Invalid Hotfix.  Could not open manifest.  File not found."

Please help!  :)

Cheers,

Adrian.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
@apnakon

You have spaces in the path to the hotfix.  Please read the full post above.

apnakon

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:38:43 AM »
Thanks Ashley!

Doah!

Cheers,

Adrian.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:55:08 PM »
My creed is, "Nothing is ever easy." It's not my motto, just my creed. Are there any Latin scholars out there who could translate this for me so I can add it to the family crest?

Nihil facil est ? (It's been a few years since high school latin...)

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:12:16 PM »
I'm really glad you put this up.  Since I'm like everyone else, you give me an inch, I'll ask for a mile.   :D  Could you please put dates on them, so we can tell when there are (is a) patch(es) we haven't seen before?

Oops, I installed the cumulative patch, and SE now says there are no hotfixes intstalled!   ???

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:23:07 PM »
Dates would be fine (as done for the patches) !

HS2

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »
Don't worry Phil.  The fixes are there.  You can always check your Config_Dir\hotfixes dir for them.  We'll get that fixed for you, as well as put a "Last Updated" note on the page...

Best,
SlickEdit Support

shadowbane

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »
Without searching the forums, I was unable to find the hotfixes page.  It would be nice if it showed up on the Support dropdown list and/or if there was a link in slickedit's help menu to it.

--Tyler

mgweeks

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
I just loaded the 11.0.2 cumulative hot fixes and it copied all of the macros to my config directory but did not load them. I went in and chmoded them to 664 and then manually loaded each file. It was a bit of a bother. I noticed that when I loaded the first hotfix hotfix, it copied it and then loaded it. Is this *nix hotfix loading mechanism going to be fixed or will we have to chmod and manually load them every time?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:05 PM »
I noticed that the hotfix_se1102_briefsch is incomplete :(
The translate macros need to be fixed in the same way as already mailed to the support few weeks ago.
Or am I wrong ?

HS2

PS: Thanks for the date entry !

@see the // HS2-ADD - marked lines
Code: [Select]
_command translate_forward(_str old_direction='') name_info(','VSARG2_MARK|VSARG2_REQUIRES_EDITORCTL)
{
   search('',_search_default_options():+old_direction);
   typeless junk='';
   save_search(junk,old_search_flags,junk);
   if ( init_qreplace(init_search_flags(old_search_flags|select_active())) ) {
      return 1;
   }

// HS2-ADD: macro recording on
   _macro('m',_macro('s'));

int status=qreplace(old_search_string,old_replace_string,old_search_flags);
   if ( select_active() ) {
      select_it(_select_type(),'','C');
   }
   return(status);

}

_command translate_backward() name_info(','VSARG2_MARK|VSARG2_REQUIRES_EDITORCTL)
{
   // HS2-ADD: macro recording on
   _macro('m',_macro('s'));

return(translate_forward('-'));

}

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
Since installing the hotfixes, SlickEdit keeps telling me I need to update to 11.0.2.

j0hnw

• Community Member
Cumulative Hotfix Chokes on OS X ( was Re: Hot Fix Download Page...)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 08:47:44 PM »
I'm running on OS X 10.4.8 on a 2.16GHz Intel MacBook Pro. I'm running under my account with Administrator privilege. . 

I first downloaded and installed the 'hotfix_se1102_hotfix.zip'. Everything appeared to go fine.

I then downloaded the file 'hotfix_se1102_cumulatvie.zip'  . However, when I went to install it, it "choked" on the first macro, 'briefsch.e'. Here is the output text:

Applying hot fix: /tmp/hotfix_se1102_cumulative.zip
Copying Slick-C Module to: /Users/johnwebb/.slickedit/11.0.2/hotfixes/briefsch.e
Making backup copy: /Users/johnwebb/.slickedit/11.0.2/hotfixes/briefsch.e.bak
Loading Slick-C module: /Users/johnwebb/.slickedit/11.0.2/hotfixes/briefsch.e

The error is:

Unabled to open input file: /User/johnwebb/.slickedit/11.0.2/hotfix/briefsch.e

When I went to the shell and checked the hotfix directory, I noticed that the permissions for both 'briefsch.e' and 'briefsch.e.bak' were set to 000 (not 755) !! Ownership appeared to be set correctly ('johnwebb.johnwebb'). There appeared to be no other macros unpacked from the hotfix zip.

If you need any further info, please let me know. I'm going to hold off trying to install any hotfixes until the problem is identified (at your end or my end).

Disappointed,
      John   

Nathan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »
Hey John,

We have an (small) omission in the hotfix_se1102_hotfix.zip hot fix instructions on our web page. There are instructions marked for Unix users which should be followed by OS X users as well. In summary, follow these four steps from your Slickedit command line:
1.)  cd 'path_to_your_config_dir' (Location can be found in Help-->About SlickEdit)
2.)  cd hotfixes
3.)  chmod 664 hotfix.e
4.)  load hotfix.e

Then give hotfix_se1102_cumulative.zip another try. It will complain a bit about reinstalling certain files, but permissions will now be set correctly and the patch should apply correctly.

Nathan

j0hnw

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »

<...>
Then give hotfix_se1102_cumulative.zip another try. It will complain a bit about reinstalling certain files, but permissions will now be set correctly and the patch should apply correctly.

Nathan,

Thanks. That appears to have done the trick. Curiously though, in my "hotfixes" directory, I ended up with all the cumulative macros in the directory with 000 permissions and then a subdirectory 'hoftfix_se102_cumulative' with all the macros, but with the correct permissions of 755. Strange -- but, hey, as long as it works.

However (isn't there always a "however"), I seem to have lost some color/formating functionality. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's related to the cumulative hotfixes or to my upgrading to OS X X11 1.1.3; I did both on the same day. 

Two changes I notice: 1) Filenames on tabs of modified files are no longer displayed in red text, and 2) bracket/brace matching no longer highlights the match in bold/blue. I'm running in Brief emulation with ObjC extension options.

Thanks,
       John