Author Topic: tab groups?  (Read 5291 times)

w7

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
tab groups?
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »
Just upgraded to SE 2010, and am sad to see there's still no tab group support. I browse some of this board and the feature doesn't even appear as a frequent new feature request, which makes me think maybe this has been there all along, and I just don't know how to enable or use it?

What I mean by "tab groups" is this: A method to split the main edit window into (at least) two halves, each with its own edit view and tab list. It's like using Windows/Tile on two buffers, except that each part can have its own list of tabs. I see this in other IDE (e.g. IAR, Visual Studio) and find it very useful.

To make an old man happy, please tell me how to open a new tab group in SE 2010.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: tab groups?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:03 AM »
I'm not sure if this is what you want / need, but why not use a new instance of SlickEdit?  vs -new will invoke a new window with its own tab list, menu bars, tools, etc. 

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
We have not added support for this yet.  @jimlangrunner's suggestion is a pretty good one to work around this for now.

ehab

• Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
i had this thought of this request today.

@jimlangrunner  and @Dan, a new instance for every tab group ... no way.

how about adding a comment in the buffers list .... this can be a good start ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:49:50 PM by ehab »

w7

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this is what you want / need ...

I struggle to describe this in different, better, words. But then, I see it in so many IDE (including Visual Studio 2008), I find it hard to believe anyone can not have seen this.

...why not use a new instance of SlickEdit?  vs -new will invoke a new window with its own tab list, menu bars, tools, etc. 

First and for the records, it's vs +new. Minus new does the opposite and prevents a new instance.

Second, and in answer to your suggestion: I find a second instance makes only a poor workaround, as you can have conflicting versions of the same file open in both instances. vs +new might come to the rescue in some cases though.  Thanks for the tip.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »
I had to go to VS2008 & check it out.  To be honest, I don't see any real value (for me!), but I do see what you mean.  I couldn't describe it any better than you. 

As for the risk of having the same file open twice - well...  Slick wouldn't let you do something silly.  If you save the file in one instance, the other instance ( when it regains focus) will tell you that it's changed.  You can then reload it or diff it, or do nothing at all. 

I don't do that often at all, and then only for different projects.  I do get differing files when I use Slick for editing and my IDE for testing.  Happens.  But Slick has never let me do something silly.

Jim

w7

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
Funny how one man's most missed feature is not important to another. Diversity 'r' us. Good.

Maybe Slick'll have mercy with me in a future release.

pvonkaenel

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
I also like using the split feature in VS and keep different files on each side.  The workaround I've recently started using in SE and really like is to specify "multiple files share window".  I then full screen the main window, and split it when needed.  Now each half (or window) has access to all files in the tab.  Not exactly like the split screen, but it also does not require you to specify which files to make available per window.

Peter

w7

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
...The workaround I've recently started using in SE and really like is to specify "multiple files share window".  I then full screen the main window, and split it when needed.  Now each half (or window) has access to all files in the tab. ...

Ahh! This is a much better workaround. Almost as good as the real thing, thank you!