Author Topic: Outline view questions...  (Read 7193 times)

Headbonk

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Outline view questions...
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:33:44 PM »
I just started evaluating SlickEdit core today. I've been using Eclipse CDT for some time, but I was interested in some of the features that SlickEdit has, primarily the refactoring editor operations.

The first thing that I've been struck by is that SlickEdit makes big changes to the Outline view, and I don't seem to be able to get back the original default eclipse/cdt view.

So the first question I have is there a way to use other SlickEdit Core features, but get the original Eclipse Outline View?

One of the issues I have with the SlickEdit Outline View is that it strips the class name off all the method names in the file (what used to appears as Class::Method(...) is now just listed as Method(...) ). This makes it much harder (for me) to navigate big files with multiple class implementations. It's also confusing when you have plain functions mixed in with class method implementations.

Is there an option I'm missing that lets me see the full function name in the Outline View?

Also, this may seem petty but, I find the icons used pretty harsh on the eyes. Is there a way to change the icon set that SlickEdit uses or just tell it to use the default Eclipse Icons?

The Outline View is one of the features of Eclipse that I use constantly and is an integral part of my workflow. Perhaps I'll get used to the differences eventually, but right now the changes are almost difficult enough to deal with to make SlickEdit a no go for me, even before I've gotten to try out the other features.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Outline view questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
Greetings,

There is no way to use the CDT Outline view alongside SlickEdit Core, or change up the icons in the Outline view :(.  We do show the class name to the right of the method, though I imagine that it is too far to the right for you to see it.  Expand the size of the Outline view and you should see the class name listed.

I am going to file a feature request to have the option to display the class and method names in the format you requested.  We have a lot of options and filters implemented for the Outline view, which you can see on the right-click menu, but we do not have an option to display class/function names as "class::function()" instead of "function()        class".  I think it would be a good addition.

- Ryan