Author Topic: Code annotations  (Read 4486 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Code annotations
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
I note that these are still broken 2 major versions of SE after the problem was first reported and a possible fix suggested. Any chance that this will be resolved at some point? I'd lurve to start using these but can't while they are bust.

FYI, the problem is that the workspace directory is prepended to the project path regardless of what the path is. Suppose the workspace files (i.e. what SE loads) is in C:\projects\SE and the project files (i.e. the source) is in C:\projects\code\testproj. The project path will probably be changed to '..\code\testproj'. When a project annotation is created the source file to which it applies is thus at the location 'C:\projects\SE\..\code\testproj\source.ext'. OK so far.

Now, suppose the project files are on a different drive, maybe in D:\code\testproj. When a project annotation is created the path to the file now becomes 'C:\projects\SE\D:\code\testproj\source.ext'. You see the problem?

All it takes is a teeny weeny bit of intelligence when creating that link: is the project path relative or absolute? If relative, prepend the workspace files dir, if absolute don't prepend the workspace dir.

Is there a chance this could be sorted out before SE16 please? A hotfix to SE15 would be better, though :)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Code annotations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
We'll look into this for inclusion in v15.0.1, planned for this summer.

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »

Scott H

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
This is fixed and will be in the next hotfix.  Thanks for the reminder!

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
Woot! Thanks very much  8)

dunkers

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
This works great now, thanks very much :)

Just a small bugette I've noticed, which doesn't affect me and is hardly worth mentioning...

If you  have only a project comment and leave the annotation window open, then change projects, the annotation comment remains visible in the comment pane. The detail and name panes are correctly cleared.

And... can't replicate this... I somehow wound up with only project and workspace as annotation options. Personal annotations just weren't an option anywhere until a SE restart. Just mentioning for completeness - nothing is going to dent my happiness with annotations now :)