Author Topic: Feature notifications  (Read 2579 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 33
Feature notifications
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:10:30 pm »
Just wanted to say this is an interesting facility if one looks beyond the initial 'why would I want a popup for that' bump. Linking the event to both the relevant help and setup pages is neat. Perhaps this easily missed aspect should be mentioned on the "what's new" page - the casual browser may think it's meant to be a clone of Clippy and resolve to disable it all at the first opportunity.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Feature notifications
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »
I'm glad you like the feature. We're trying to help people understand what's going in SlickEdit so they can more easily configure it. Too often, users lump all of the automatic features are together as "auto-complete".

I think your point is a valid one, and I have updated the docs accordingly.

As an aside, I really like what Clippy tried to do, but I'm upset that the implementation was done so badly. An intelligent agent that watches what you are doing and provides meaningful, contextual suggestions on how better to achieve a task would be truly awesome! When I think of other complex software I use, like PhotoShop Elements and Cubase, I really wish they had something that would make some suggestions. Unfortunately, Clippy was too cute and too useless.

dunkers

• Hero Points: 33
Re: Feature notifications
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:52 pm »
I agree with your comments about Clippy. I imagine it's quite difficult to pitch to be useful to a naive user without annoying the more expert user.