Author Topic: Is there a reason to update?  (Read 7152 times)

hp

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Is there a reason to update?
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:44:38 AM »
Hey folks

Quick question: If I'm using Slick only to code C/C++, rather small projects, using clearcase as version control, is there a reason for me to upgrade? Currently I'm pretty happy with my V2009, so if there's no real big new feature for me I probably won't....

Try to convince me  ;D

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Is there a reason to update?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Okay - I'll give it a shot -

for $60/year (or $5/month), you get support.  Support that can be very handy (though I've never needed it and wouldn't buy it for that).  You also get "free" upgrades to the next version when it comes out.  So all the new features (and minor improvements) are all part of the package. 

Ah - you didn't get maintenance, did you?  Buying a new copy is pretty pricey, so maybe it's not such a great bargain.  I was like you once. I did minor projects and assorted small things. But a year later, there was a new "feature" that was the buzz on the boards. I wanted that feature - it would be useful to me.  Another year, and I was drooling over all of the cool new features. Did I need them? Probably not. But they have made my job ever so much easier. By that time, there was no way to buy in, so I had to buy a full license.  I think it was worth it.

So - if you can get into the maintenance program (try - it's worth it) - do it and get the upgrade. It's well worth the $5/month.

Jim

hp

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »
Ah, maybe my request was not clear enough. I don't have a problem with paying, the price is really no issue. I just don't like to update a tool when I don't need it, because it's likely to have a new bug or two coming along with the new features. So, if there's nothing that makes my everyday life really easier, then I wont update. As I said, I'm pretty happy with my current version, so if there's nothing to be gained in point of functionality for C/C++ coding (not even debugging, I'm using a Lauterbach for that work), then why should I update. I had a look at the feature list, and for me there is no reason, because I don't need that stuff.

But of course, those feature lists are not the whole truth, so if somebody can tell me either "you'll love bugfix xyz" or "feature abc will spare you 5 minutes work a day" then I'll upgrade  ;)

But thanks for trying anyway, it's much appreciated  :D

jimlangrunner

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
Sorry - I did misunderstand.

I don't know of any single compelling reason to upgrade. It's only a collection of minor (almost trivial) things that make it compelling to me.  Many such things I only find out about when putzing around looking for something else.

ehab

• Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
i think every odd version SE upgrade is a must. every even version has bug fixes and some enhancements.

lets see if 2011 will be a must upgrade for you : )

btw : how do you like Lauterbach? i remember someone said its expensive and needs training to really benefit from it. I see it on tables for device batter and power management developers. Plenty of low level.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:31:32 PM by ehab »

hp

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
Ok, so I agree, lets wait for 2011  ;)

Concerning Lauterbach: what you heard is somewhat true. The price depends a lot on what you need. If you just need a simple debugger, then it might be a bit more pricey than others, but it's also better than others. If you want a tracer that can log every instruction of a CPU at a few hundred Megahertz, then it's a bit more pricey. And if you want an in-circuit debugger then it's even more pricey (talking 40kish bucks here).

However, the Lauterbach tools are really very powerful. And it's completely true that you have to learn to work with them. If you don't use them alot, then you won't use but the simplest functions they offer. It is also great because you can connect it to external trigger sources. So if you want to debug distributed systems, then it's almost a must. The general rule is, if you ever had one, you'll miss it if you have to use something simpler  :-\

If you want to try one out, they are always happy to demonstrate them, and you can also hire them for some time. I can also tell you that the support is one of the best I ever had (at least it is here, might be different in your country).

Guess I'm babbling again. Happens everytime when I start to talk about Lauterbach  :P

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
I agree with hp. Especially with Lauterbach (similar to SE) you really get what you pay for.
So IMHO it's worth the money. (using a USB>JTAG debugger for C/C++ dev. on PPC since a while)
HS2

hp

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
So, another year is over, same question again: is it worth to update? Looking at the new feature list for me it's still a no .... what are your thoughts, you C/C++ devs out there?

ehab

• Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »
in short :  ;)  it's worth it

why:

- The SE team work hard and now there is 32 and 64 it should boost performance.
- git git ... is now supported
- I support the maintenance plan because its not much for upgrades and keeps the SE ongoing.
- I am a developer and SE is my ultimate tool. Not just for coding but also make me a master of text manipulation.  So i keep current always.
- Helps know if i switch to a new market demand sdks, SE will boost my productivity.
- I always feel like a man when i open my SE :D part of this is for because of the macros ... u gotta love the macros.

ehab
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:16:42 AM by ehab »

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »
For me, the increase in tagging speed (using multi-threading) is more than noticeable, especially the smoothness with which the preview window is populated.
I'm using a similar setup: Mostly C/C++ development for embedded systems, but the speed increase alone is worth the $60/yr.
Recommended! Of course just IMHO...

HTH,

Johan

jimlangrunner

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Yes. The performance improvements are astounding.  Really. 32 bit and 64 bit are so much faster that I'm simply amazed.

Better, even, with the maintenance plan.  $60/year ($5 month!  Less than one lunch out!) is nothing, and the continuous improvements always pay off.

Then, when I _do_ need to ask a question in the forums, I never have to say "well, I'm using v13...."

My $0.02

hp

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
Well, as I said in one of the answers above, the money is not the issue. The fear of losing the current stability and happiness due to new bugs is. However, speed improvement while tagging certainly is a reason, even for me, so thanks for the feedback guys  :)