Author Topic: Annoying "Reload Modified Files"  (Read 8122 times)

chuckj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Annoying "Reload Modified Files"
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
I am using the Linux (Ubuntu) SE version 14.0.2.2.

My gripe is that I keep getting the "Reload Modified Files" dialog at inappropriate times.  For example, I work with several buffers open, and when I save changes in one buffer, then attempt switch to another buffer, I get the dialog indicating that the file I just saved needed to be reloaded.

I am working, at home (alone), on a linux network, sitting at a linux workstation, working on web applications on two linux servers, using CIFS to share the drives on which the work resides, all drives mounted by the workstation with entries in /etc/fstab.

One server is Ubuntu Server 8.10, using ext2 filesystem, and I don't have any problem with that server. The other server is Ubuntu Server 9.04, using ext3 filesystem. 

My workstation and the 9.04 server both call ntpdate to synchronize their clocks via a cron script.  The clock on the 8.10 server is actually running about 30 minutes behind the current time.  I thought that might be a solution (accurate time is less important to me than avoid the interruptions), but setting the 9.04 server 30 minutes back didn't help.

I know I could turn off the automatic checking, but I occasionally use the Oxygen XML editor to work with troublesome XSL stylesheets that I'm editing in SE, and it's nice to make sure all my work is up-to-date.  The Oxygen editor has no trouble with appropriately detecting modified files, by the way, so there is some peculiarity with how SE is doing it, I think.

I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, or information that could help me eliminate these annoying and unnecessary dialogs.

Thank you,
Chuck Jungmann

Scott H

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Re: Annoying "Reload Modified Files"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
Hi Chuck, we don't do anything special to tell if a file's been modified, just a check on date and time.  One thing I might suggest is that you go to Tools > Options, then File Options > Load.  First, try setting "Reload on switch buffer" to False.  That will make it so that you are only prompted with updated files when you switch away from SlickEdit and then back (and a file has changed during that time).  This would still prompt you to reload files when you used Oxygen, but would not nag you when you simply switched buffers.  Let me know if this works for you.

chuckj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Annoying "Reload Modified Files"
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:05:53 PM »
That's perfect.  Since I'm the only one working on the files, there's not much chance of changes happening without my having switched away from and back to SE.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Chuck