Author Topic: Can't see/use my custom project type in SE 2010 (v15.0.0.6)  (Read 2141 times)

Ants

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Why can't I see/use the new custom project template I just created?

I followed the directions in the help file on how to create a custom project template by:
1) Project.New...
2) Customize...
3) New...
4)  New Package Name: MSBuild
    Copy settings from: Microsoft .NET SDK (C#)
5) OK all the way back out to the New Project dialog tab.

The list of project types does not list my new package named 'MSBuild'.

I've tried cancelling out of the New Project dialog and coming back in. I've tried shutting down SlickEdit and restarting it. The project type just doesn't show up in the list of project types. But if I click on Customize... again, I can see it listed.

I tried to find the userprjtemplates.vpt referred to in the help file but couldn't find such a file.

Workaround:
I did manage to find a usrprjtemplates.vpt file. Note the missing 'e'. If I edit the file and change the ShowInMenu value from "0" to "1", suddenly MSBuild shows up on the list of project types.

Is this the correct workaround? Or is there a checkbox somewhere that I'm missing that corresponds to the ShowInMenu value in the .vpt file?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Can't see/use my custom project type in SE 2010 (v15.0.0.6)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:46:50 pm »
Thanks for bringing this up. There is a type in the filename in the User Guide. The correct name, as you discovered, is "usrprjtemplates.vpt".

I tried creating a couple different custom project types, and the problem with the new ones not showing up in the list seems to be related to copying the settings from the Microsoft .NET SDK (C#) project type. I'll have someone look into it. Your workaround seems to be correct.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »
I did some more research on this. There are a bunch of project types that are listed when you click the "Customize" button that are not available on the Project > New dialog. Those used to be there, but we had a lot of problems. While we do a reasonably good job updating Visual Studio project files, we cannot create them and have them used by Visual Studio. So, users were coming into SlickEdit, creating projects, and then getting into trouble when they tried to use them in Visual Studio. If you are working with Visual Studio to build or debug, you ABSOLUTELY need to create a solution in Visual Studio and then open it in SlickEdit. You can subsequently add files to these projects, but you should do your main configuration of them in Visual Studio to ensure proper operation in that environment.

The "SDK" items in the list were there to allow users to edit and build Windows applications using the MS SDKs even if they didn't have Visual Studio. We had too many problem with users creating those project types and then trying to use them in Visual Studio later. The presence of these choices on the Project > New menu confused too many users. So, even though they may be a plus for some users, they were a distraction to other users.

When we took those other project types off the Project > New dialog, we may have forgotten to remove them from the list displayed when you click "Customize".

Are you truly working with the SDKs or are you wanting to use Visual Studio to build and debug? Even if you do your builds in SlickEdit, we have to call something to build, which will either be Visual Studio or the SDK.

We have the following choices:
1) Do nothing. You're the first person to hit this in a year or more. So, it's not a big problem.
2) Strike those project types off the Customize list as well.
3) Leave the SDK items on the customize list, but strike the other MS Visual Studio project types. I see no use for the others.
4) Leave the SDK items on the customize list and put them back on Project > New.

I really don't know what to do. While I'd like to support people using the SDKs, it was making it harder for new users to understand how to work properly with Visual Studio and SlickEdit.

Ants

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »
What I usually do is just build on the command line with MSBuild, and do all my editing in SlickEdit. I like to hand edit my *.*proj files. So I'm essentially working with the SDK. (I only fire up Visual Studio when I need to debug something because I screwed up and didn't have unit test for it.)

I figured that I would take advantage of the Build menu in SlickEdit so cut down on the number of window switches I do, I was prepared to just use the (Other) project type as I'd done in the past. I just stumbled upon the Microsoft .NET SDK (C#) and noticed that essentially had what I needed. I just would need to change the call from csc.exe to MSBuild.exe and pass in the project file. I ran into the issue above when I tried to use the Copy Settings: drop down.

I recommend option 2 of striking the SDKs. Also perhaps have an example of how to use MSBuild.