Author Topic: SlickEdit 15.0.0.5 react so slow when switching with other application window  (Read 32910 times)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Sounds like we're making progress on this one. We still need some more data to pin this down. For everyone who is experiencing this problem, we could use the information from the profiler.

Please be sure to reset the value for def_actapp to its previous value before running this procedure.

1) Launch SlickEdit as normal and open any workspaces and files that seem to trigger the slow response.
2) Turn on the profiler. From the SlickEdit command line, run: profile on.
3) Switch to another application.
4) Switch back to SlickEdit.
5) Wait for normal responsiveness to return.
6) Turn off the profiler. From the SlickEdit command line, run: profile save "profile.txt"
7) Post the resulting "profile.txt" file.

Please try to do as little as possible while the profiler is running so that the times reported reflect what is being done after switching back to SlickEdit.  Thanks for your help with this.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Also, let's check the value of def_fast_auto_readonly.

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
def_fast_auto_readonly = 1

It seems to be better but it sometimes takes a day or two for me to see it so I can't confirm the issue is resolved yet.

I'll do the profile when I get some free cycles.

What does def_actapp do?

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
If it turns out to be due to polling the open files, on Windows it is possible to use FindFirstFileChangeNotification to get asynchronous notification about files changing, and eliminate polling.

abcd

def_fast_auto_readonly is 1.

abcd

Today SE is strangely no significant delay, so the profile I producing may haven't such reference effect.

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
My profile file is too big to be copied here (greater than 20000 characters)... is there a way to attach it?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
You can email it directly to me at swestfall@slickedit.com. Please use the following for the subject: "Profile data for forum thread 6131".

abcd

But what's the answer of this BUG??

narvaezce

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Slickedit 18 and still running into this.  Thinking more and more of switching editors.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Do you have a file that is on a slow file system?  There is a feature now that should keep this from happening.  Do you have the issue when there are no files open?