Author Topic: SlickEdit 15.0.0.5 react so slow when switching with other application window  (Read 32909 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
I can confirm this on 15.0.0.3 and on several versions of 14 (maybe as far back as 14.0.0)

I regularly keep several dozen (30-40+) files open at a time in the workspace with almost all files residing on a remote network share (via a mapped network drive) on a Windows XP Pentium 4 desktop.

Intrafile switching is sometimes problematic but I attribute that to network latency/syntax color issues (Slickedit goes non-responsive on the order of several seconds but its maddening if I'm trying to trace code logic while hopping through files... probably no more than 5-10 seconds but it feels like minutes)

But there's sometimes a MUCH longer delay when swapping between Slickedit and another application (say Firefox/Outlook) that really is on the order of minutes for me.  The Slickedit window does not refresh and the app will not respond to window events (IE if I try to close the app window, I get the Windows dialog box of the app being non-responsie and do I want to forcibly close it).  I don't see a pattern to this one, sometimes I can toggle back and forth with no problem and then >bam< Slickedit goes out to lunch.  I had been on a trip for the past several days and returned to my computer today (left it on) where I had left Slickedit running and selected it from the app bar to help answer a co-worker's question, it unminimized and filled my screen but took almost 5 minutes to repaint the windows and then let me navigate around.  But after that I could use the app, minimize it and jump around to other apps and back all day and had no problem with Slickedit at all.  it *might* be related to a disconnected network (which did happen while I was gone but my UPS kept my PC up).

abcd

Not sure if this is related, but thought I would put it out there. I personally have noticed something odd when I have a large file open (1800 lines)...  Whenever I switch back to SE after using another application, there is a good 3-5 second delay before SE is ready to roll again.  Nothing fancy here, everything is on a local disk.  It does not happen with smaller files to the same degree.  Sometimes the screen "appears" instantly, but you cannot move the cursor for several seconds.

If I switch between other files and a large file within SE, there is no delay at all.

The situation usually happened  here  too when I using SE 15.0.5. All these problems have the same effect that the work will can't be continued until some seconds-minutes later.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:10:11 AM by abcd »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Using the same procedure to check a SlickEdit macro variable, what is the value of def_filetouch_checking?

vivitron

0 here

skywise

0 here

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
OK.  Just ruling something out.  Back to the drawing board.

abcd

The value of "def_filetouch_checking" is 0.

abcd

OK.  Just ruling something out.  Back to the drawing board.
When could be solved this problem?

vivitron

Is there a way we can run some sort of log to send?  It hangs pretty regularly when I switch from another application. 

skywise

Just had this occur on my Windows XP SP2 system.

I clicked off SlickEdit, jumped around through several other apps for about 20 minutes and when I clicked back, SlickEdit refreshed but was non-responsive.  The status text at the bottom said "Retagging paused"

I pulled up the task manager but vs.exe showed 0 cpu usage.  After about 30 seconds slickedit came back.

Here's some info from the about box about a minute after it came back but Slickedit is still behaving very sluggishly with slow refreshes (IE while moving the mouse over the menu bar, the pop ups would appear slowly and the "Windows" option actually stayed highlighted after a hiccup as if it has missed a message)

Emulation: Brief

OS Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Memory: 63% Load, 1337MB/2095MB Physical, 784MB/2097MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1680 x 1050

Project Type: cpp
Language: .cpp (C/C++)

Number of tagging threads was set to 2 but I have a Pentium 4 single core (with HT which looks like 2 cores but isn't really).

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:56:18 PM by skywise »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
Several people in here, so you will all have to report separately.  What happens if you set def_actapp to 0?  This will shut off auto reload, as well as some other things.  Please shut this off and see if this eliminates the problem.

To do this, go to Macro>Set Macro Variable and set choose def_actapp from the combo box.

skywise

Done.  Mine was set to 5 before.  I'll let you know what I find.

abcd

Done.  Mine was set to 5 before.  I'll let you know what I find.
Mine is 16.
When I set the macro to 0, it seems no delay, but I haven't test it for a long time.

vivitron

Done.  Mine was set to 17.

vivitron

No more lockups/slowdowns here... although I do miss the autoreload function :)