Author Topic: Debugging SlickC in Core  (Read 6815 times)

PlanetPratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Debugging SlickC in Core
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
Where do I find the output of the say() command in SlickEdit Core for Eclipse?  Alternately, is there a way to run the SlickC debugger?  Thanks.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Debugging SlickC in Core
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:37 PM »
Output of say() goes the same place as it does with normal SlicKEdit...on Windows it'll output to the vsapi.dll window, and on Linux it will output to the command line.

Unfortunately the Slick-C debugger is not supported in SlickEdit Core :(.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »
Hmmm, I'm on windows and I'm not seeing that option.  Is there something I have to do to enable that to work?

Specifically, I have a macro that is being called using %m in an alias file.  I have some say() functions scattered in the source (including the very first line) to try and see where I messed up my code, but nothing is showing up.  ???

(*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:15:03 PM »
No...I suspect that the macro isn't being executed.  I would make a simple test command that just outputs some text with the say() statement, and load that, and then execute the command.  Does it output to the vsapi.dll. window as expected?

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:04 PM »
Hmmm, it was (because I was getting the output I decided to fix), but even if I return a static string now it isn't showing up in the expanded alias.

I added the new function to my .e file, hit <esc> and used the "load" command to compile the macro file.  Then I went to my test file and expanded the macro, but nothing is showing up.  I'm not getting any output on compiling the macro (which leads me to believe it compiled and loaded fine) and I'm not getting any output on the running of the macro (so I would conclude it didn't blow up, or I'd get the VS Stack Trace).  I'm getting no feedback at all, any ideas?
  (*Chris*)

PlanetPratt

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
My bad, there was an error being returned on "load", but it was only in the status bar and was getting replaced by something before I noticed it was there.  It seems to be working better now.  Thanks.  :-\
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
Yea...that has happened to me before too (not seeing that your macro didn't compile), I was going to mention that next.  In Eclipse it is easier to have happen because the status line is smaller than what we have in SlickEdit.

- Ryan