Author Topic: Slickedit 15.0.0.6 Crash on Startup  (Read 14048 times)

mkatz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Slickedit 15.0.0.6 Crash on Startup
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »
Rebooting did not fix the problem.

I renamed the api.idx file to no avail.

-sc c:\temp is still working, so I am not completely dead in the water.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »
So SlickEdit 2010 (v15.0.0.6) will not start at all now?

SlickEdit Support

mkatz

• Community Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11:20 pm »
Without using the -sc option to bypass the default SlickEdit configuration directory.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 07:26:37 pm »
1. Rename ...Documents\My SlickEdit Config to ...Documents\My SlickEdit Config.bak
2. "Repair" your installation.
   --If you still have a copy of the SlickEdit installation MSI, you can run the installer again and chose the "Repair" option.
   --If you do not have the installer, you can go to your Add/Remove Programs and use the "Repair" option from there.  In Add/Remove Programs, once you've selected SlickEdit from your list of installed applications, you can click on the "Click here for support information." link.  This pops a dialog that has the same Repair option.

3. Start SlickEdit.

Does this work?

mkatz

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »
That worked.  How is that different from "s -sc c:\NewDirectory"?

I don't have any of my configurations.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »
It's not really different except now we have a baseline SlickEdit installation that we know works.  Now to try and get your 1402 config items into SlickEdit 2010 (v15006)

--Exit SlickEdit.
--In your Win Explorer copy the 14.0.2 folder from ..Documents\My SlickEdit Config.bak\14.0.2\ into the new ..Documents\My SlickEdit Config\ dir that was created. (There should be a new 15.0.0 dir in there as well.)
--While still in your Win Explorer, delete the new ..Documents\My SlickEdit Config\15.0.0\ dir that was created.
--Start SlickEdit v15.0.6...it will copy the 14.0.2 info into a new 15.0.0 Configuration Directory for you. (IGNORE any asm.ex conflict warnings. (They are just that, a warning, from a time a while back that we know that you loaded asm.e manually. It's simply looking for the path of the file, which was different from the current asm.e path).
--Exit SlickEdit one more time.
--Start SlickEdit.

What happens after the last start?

SlickEdit Support

mkatz

• Community Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
I am trying to recover all of my SlickEdit 15.0.0.6 configuration not a configuration from 14.0.2.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 09:44:51 pm »
Have you done a large amount of customization from 14.0.2 to 15.0.6?

If so, try this:

--Exit SlickEdit.
--Then copy vusrdefs.e from ..Documents\My SlickEdit Config.bak\15.0.0\ to  ..Documents\My SlickEdit Config\15.0.0\ (Overwrite the existing file.)
--Start SlickEdit.
--Paste the full path and filename in the SlickEdit command line (the command line can be accessed by hitting Escape in most emulations or simply clicking on the message area in the bottom left corner of the main SlickEdit application window). Make sure to double quote the entire line to take care of the spaces and hit Enter. The command line/message line should say "Module loaded" if this is done properly.

Did your configurations get loaded?

Best,
SlickEdit Support

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »
Here's something to try.  Open up your vrestore.slk file, which should be in your crashy config directory.  Look for a line that begins with "PIP:".  Delete that line, save the file, and see if you can run the application.

Thanks Sandra! This morning I was having a problem that seemed very similar and this helped me.  Btw, what does PIP mean?
-Pete

P.S. - Thanks to mkatz for starting this discussion: do you have a fix for your crash yet?

alyanm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »
Here's something to try.  Open up your vrestore.slk file, which should be in your crashy config directory.  Look for a line that begins with "PIP:".  Delete that line, save the file, and see if you can run the application.

Thanks Sandra! This morning I was having a problem that seemed very similar and this helped me.  Btw, what does PIP mean?
-Pete

P.S. - Thanks to mkatz for starting this discussion: do you have a fix for your crash yet?

Ditto for me, that did the trick!  I just learned a lot about slickedit files that I wasn't planning to learn this morning... too bad I didn't see the end of this thread a little sooner, could have saved me half an hour of fruitless efforts.

Alan

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 02:49:00 pm »
Alan and Pete,

If removing that line from vrestore.slk fixed your problem, then I recommend that you get the latest hot fix, which can be found here:  http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=260&Itemid=41.  Otherwise, you are likely to get the crash again in a week or so.  If you still get the crash after applying revision 7 of the cumulative hot fix, please let me know.

The PIP is the Product Improvement Program.  It sends anonymous usage data back to SlickEdit so we can figure out how best to focus our development efforts.

pdebonte

• Community Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »
Hi Sandra,

I already had Hotfix 7 installed.  [About dialog content attached].

Thanks,
-Pete
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:58:09 pm by pdebonte »

alyanm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »
Hi Sandra,

I've installed the hotfix as you suggested, I've got my fingers crossed -- I'll let you know if I have further issues.

Thanks,
Alan

Mike H

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »
Today I noticed the same crash problem on my SE.  Deleting the PIP line as Sandra suggested fixed the problem.  Does the new release (15.0.1) fix this issue?

Mike

pdebonte

• Community Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:19 pm »
Mike,

The problem was due to an empty alert_config.xml (delete it and the crash will stop, IIRC).  It occurred weekly (I believe that is the PIP upload schedule), and I've not seen it recur since the first 15.0.1 release candidate, almost a month ago, so it seems fixed :)

-Pete