Author Topic: How to remove Read-only protection  (Read 4384 times)

pochtara

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How to remove Read-only protection
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »
Hi:
I'm a new user of ClickEdit v8.0. I have an issue to make RO files that are under source control to be RW, by toggle RO/RW mode. The file in the tool's window becomes RW, but when I want to save it, the tool will not allow me to do it, produsing warning window: "Unable to save ....spam.c Access Denied. Possible causes: Another program has this file open. See help on Backup options."
I've tried to check/uncheck the famous Protect Read-Only flag option and it did not make a difference.

What I'm trying to achieve is to make RO file RW (remove read-only property on it) so I can save my changes in it without going to the file location and right-click on the file and do it. It seams the tool does not want to do it for me.

Any ideas?!
Thanks
Alex

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: How to remove Read-only protection
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:37:01 PM »
I took a quick look at V8.  Save isn't that smart.  You need a newer version of SlickEdit.

When you Save in V11, it will detect failure due to read only and prompt you whether you wish to change the permissions.  This feature works with the Windows readonly file attribute (which it sounds like you're using) and Unix permissions (if you have permission).  Theres no support in V11 for NTFS permissions.