Author Topic: Dark themes, dark fonts, oh my!  (Read 3830 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Dark themes, dark fonts, oh my!
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:42:59 am »
I don't know why I never thought to bring this up before -

I run a dark theme on my Windows XP with a light font with a variation of the Iceberg theme for coloring.  (The dark blue background was much better on the eyes than the black I had used before, thanks guys!)

Everything displays properly (with light text on dark background) - EXCEPT for Tool Window buttons when Hidden (collapsed on the side of the screen).  These are always black.

Any way to change those?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Dark themes, dark fonts, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »
I don't quite follow what you're talking about, "Tool Window buttons when Hidden (collapsed on the side of the screen)". Can you post a screen shot? Is the problem reproducible with one of the stock themes? You say you're using a variation of Iceberg. Can it be reproduced with an unaltered Iceberg?

MartyL

• Hero Points: 26
  • Synergex Software Engineer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:54:25 pm »
Scott,

I think he's referring to the icons and text that are displayed when you collapse a toolbar to the side of your screen. Unpin the projects toolbar to see what he's talking about.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »
Yeah, I tried unpinning that tool bar before my original post, and everything looks fine. So, I'm hoping a screen shot will help to clarify the issue.

skywise

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
Here's an attached image.

It occurs to me I'm running WindowBlinds so that might be having some effect (although all the stock buttons/menu text/3D object text should be cyan or light gray depending on its enabled status)

Note that the symbols tool window header is the proper cyan color but that the unpinned tool buttons (top and bottom) all appear to be a black font color.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 30
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:41:11 am »
Just my $0.02 here - I used Window Blinds for years - but finally abandoned it after too long of dealing with stuff just like that. There may be work-arounds, but I never found them.

On the other hand, Window Blinds did offer some very compelling UI enhancements. Just not compelling enough, and I had better things to do.

Jim

skywise

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:22:43 pm »
If it's window blinds we can just attribute it to user error (me) and leave it at that. (It's been so long, years, since I set this theme and I haven't messed with it since that I had forgotten I was using it.).

But I was hoping there might be a macro definition setting or something not accessible via the UI where I could specify the color for that particular text type.

skywise

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »
FYI - Still seeing this on 15.0.1 RC2 -

Hidden toolbar window buttons (like a docked/hidden symbols toolbar window) seem to default to a black colored font.  Regardless of what I make the windows colors.  Is this hard set to black, based on a particular Windows Confiiguration setting, or Is there a macro setting to alter that color?  (If it's hard set, it'd be nice if it defaulted to the disabled windows border caption text color in windows)

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:22:25 am »
You mentioned maybe it was Window Blinds.
It would probably help to rule that out -- did you try without Window Blinds?

skywise

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »
Yes.  I've manually configured a dark theme using advanced windows colors on Windows XP.  Hence my observation about the hidden toolbar button text being set to a black color no matter what windows colors I specify.