Author Topic: SlickEdit 2009 for Windows XP suddenly locks down; not good!  (Read 4195 times)

real_fetchboy

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
I've been a SlickEdit user for many years and have never seen it do what SE 2009 has started doing today. Here's the scenario:

I'm typing along in a PL/SQL package body file. I happen to hit some sequence of characters when SE 2009 suddenly freezes indefinitely and must be killed in Task Manager. During this frozen state the SE process is pegged at 49-50% CPU and is reported as not responding. As you can imagine, this is very disruptive, especially when whatever changes have been made since the last save are lost. It acts as if Auto-Complete is trying to identify something to pull up, but is locking up instead. Doesn't happen all the time so I can't figure out when it will happen. However, one example that I tried repeatedly with the same result is:

<start file>
CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY my_package IS
...
END my_package;
<end file>

File name ends with *.pkb extension which SE correctly assigns to the PL/SQL lexer. I try to replace the "IS" with "AS" and the freeze happens.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA--

- Pete J.

Graeme

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 2480
  • Hero Points: 325
Re: SlickEdit 2009 for Windows XP suddenly locks down; not good!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:13:37 am »
I tried the small amount of code you posted and was able to replace IS with AS no problem, in slick V14.  When I created the file, slick warned that the pkb extension didn't match PL/SQL.

Maybe you could try and reproduce the problem with a new config folder - start slick with the command line option -sc c:\temp\some-empty-folder.  slick will create and initialise a new configuration folder for you.  If you can't reproduce the problem, try copying over your configuration settings  - use options -> export/import.

It's possible something has gone wrong with your existing configuration folder (e.g. corruption in vslick.sta) - so you could try deleting vslick.sta (backup your whole folder first).  Otherwise, you could try posting the entire file that causes the problem, plus your configuration settings and see if anyone else can reproduce it.

Graeme

real_fetchboy

  • Junior Community Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit 2009 for Windows XP suddenly locks down; not good!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »
Graeme--thanks for the your suggestion. I have narrowed it down to Tools > Options > Languages > Database Languages > PL/SQL > Adaptive Formatting > Keyword case. If this option is checked, anytime I try to add a two character key word (such as "AS", "IS", "OR"; three or more are fine!), it locks down.

I tried the -sc command line option as you suggested. After going through the basic setup, I re-associated the *.pks and *.pkb file extensions with the PL/SQL lexer and tried the two character key word. It worked. I checked the Adaptive Formatting > Keyword case option. It was checked. So....not sure what in my setup is causing VSE to lock up, but I can live without the Adaptive Formatting. Can't live without being able to type two character key words in PL/SQL!

- Pete J.