Author Topic: Can I change popup menus?  (Read 2631 times)

dfechser

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Can I change popup menus?
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »
I'm new to Slickedit so this may be a very basic question but I cannot find the answer in the help windows.

I'm having a problem with the popup menu that shows up when I right-click a project in the Projects tool window.  The first selection in the menu is "Build" so every time I click on a project it attempts to build. Is there any way to change this menu so something less time consuming is the first option?

Thanks,

Dave F. LSI Corp.

Scott H

• Hero Points: 9
Re: Can I change popup menus?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:12 pm »
so every time I click on a project it attempts to build

Sorry if I'm not understanding your question correctly, but is it really running a project build every time you right click on a project in the tree?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Can I change popup menus?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »
Yes, you sure can change that. But before I tell you how, I'm curious why you are having trouble with the top item being executed. In my testing, I have to right-click on the project (the line with the .vpj entry) to bring up the menu. Then I have to left-click to select an item on this menu. Are you saying that SlickEdit is launcing the Build operation when you just right-click on the project entry?  If so, can you post your Help > About SlickEdit info so we can try to figure out what's going on? I'm guessing you're on Linux or another X11 platform.

Anyway, here's how to change that menu.

From the main menu, select Macro > Menus.  Select the _projecttb_project_menu entry in the list and click the "Open" button (see attachment OpenMenu.jpg).

Now you should see the dialog shown in MenuEditor.jpg. Some of the items on this context menu are added statically and are listed. Others are added/removed dynamically, which is why the list doesn't exactly match what you see in the context menu.

You can do one of two things:
1) Move a different element to the top.
2) Insert another element at the top.

To move a different element to the top:
Select the element and click the "Up" button until that item is at the top. Make sure that the item you have selected is one that actually appears on the context menu when you use it. If you move an item that is dynamically removed, it won't achieve the desired goal because "Rebuild" will be at the top again.

To insert a new element:
With the &Compile entry highlighted, click the "Insert" button. Put in a caption, like "Bogus" or "This does nothing" and click "OK". Or you can put in a caption for a real operation and select the corresponding command in the "Command" field. If you are having problems with the top item being clicked accidentally, then putting in a bogus entry may be best.