Author Topic: Window frame color problem  (Read 3667 times)

ulfw

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Window frame color problem
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:07 am »
Hi,

I'm using SlickEdit 15.0.0.6 on Linux, and I have this bizarre problem: Every now an again, for no apparent reason, the colors on the active window frame inside SlickEdit changes. I haven't been able to identify where these colors might be picked up (everything from black to purple, pink, bright blue, bright green etc.).

Has anyone else observed this? And perhaps has some clue how to make it stop...?

Regards,

ulfw

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Window frame color problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »
This sounds like the Symbol Coloring feature. To turn off Symbol Coloring (which is the first step to confirm that this is what you are seeing) go to the View options for your language. The fastest way to get there is to select View > C/C++ View Options. The entry will change based on the language of the current document.

You can also enable/disable Symbol Coloring for all languages using Tools > Options and navigating to Languages > All Languages > View. On the View options screen, make sure that the "Symbol Coloring" checkbox is unchecked.

You may be seeing this sporadically if you have it enabled for one language but not others.

Symbol Coloring is a very useful feature, allowing you to more easily see aspects of your code, like public versus private members or undefined symbols. However, there are performance considerations since it does a lot of look up to get this symbol information, particularly if you are using the default "All symbols" scheme, which colors almost everything. We used that as the default so you could see the kinds of things we can color. It also serves as a great starting point to define your own Symbol Coloring scheme, since it is easier to delete rules than to add them.

To configure Symbol Coloring, select Tools > Options and navigate to Appearance > Symbol Coloring.

You should read more about this feature, if you plan to use it. Select Help > Contents to open the User Guide. In the Contents, navigate down to User Preferences > Colors, Color Coding, and Symbol Colors > Symbol Coloring.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:20:31 pm »
Hmm. I read your post as saying "in the active window frame" rather than "on the active window frame". If this is a problem with the frame, itself, please post a screen shot. You may still find the Symbol Coloring feature interesting, even if it isn't related to your problem.

Sorry for getting off track. Amazing how one little word can change the meaning of things.

ulfw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:48 pm »
Hi,

A couple of (partial; sorry, but I don't want too much of our code floating around) screen shots of the editor window... It hasn't been through the more offending parts of the spectrum the last couple of days, but basically this is illustrates the problem; the frame cycles through different colors at random. Sometimes I can use it for a say without any change, sometimes it changes every few minutes.

Regards,

ulfw

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »
We don't set the frame color. That appears to be a problem with your X settings. Are you using SlickEdit locally or accessing it on a remote host? What desktop/window manager are you using?

Can you post your Help > About SlickEdit info?

ulfw

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:26:38 am »
My setup is more or less this:

My desktop is a 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 running XFCE4 and openbox. SlickEdit runs over an SSH tunnel from a remote server (32bit Ubuntu 8.04).  If it's relevant: SlickEdit is located on a shared (NFS) drive which I have read-access but not write-acces to.

SlickEdit help/about has this to say:
---
SlickEdit Version 15.0.0.6

Serial number: VLX927520
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /remote/public/slickedit/linux/15000006/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 07, 2010
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS
Kernel Level: 2.6.24-16-server
Build Version: #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:58:00 UTC 2008
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation