Author Topic: Is there some way to preview HTML (and other web) files in various browsers?  (Read 4182 times)

Phileosophos

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
A feature I've grown completely reliant upon in Dreamweaver is the ability to hit a key and preview my current document in a web browser. It even gives me an alternate, so I can have one key set to show in IE and another set to show in Firefox. Is there any functionality like that built into SlickEdit? Or is that something for which I'd have to try to craft a macro? Thanks!

ehab

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
a function = no.
a macro    = maybe.
advise ; why don't you call another small program to render you html code. Maybe this tool will have IE and FF / others options. Yeah try to find a minimal browser app and just use an SE macro to call it.

Phileosophos

• Community Member
I guess I'll have to do that. It just seemed like such an obvious feature for working with HTML/PHP/ASP/etc. pages, one that every other web editor I use provides, that I thought it was probably built into SlickEdit already and I just didn't know how to access it.

ehab

web editor != code editor

SE is a code editor in its blood : )

if you do heavy html i recommend:

- http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/
- http://www.yaldex.com/JSFactory_Pro.htm

They should suffice, as for a minimal html viewer with no java/script support then let us know what you came up with since didn't have enough time to google and try.

regards. ehab

Phileosophos

• Community Member
Thanks. I appreciate what you're saying, but with respect I think that you need to re-examine that assumption. I used to think that way too (i.e., web editor != code editor), but it really isn't the case anymore. Even the most trivial web sites I work on use C#/PHP and Javascript at a bare minimum. I haven't done a "plain old HTML" web site, without any code, in... well... I can't even remember.

ehab

are you saying a file manager should also provide a file viewer as much as possible?

html preview requires an engine and each is a bit different for each type. I think it will be much to ask from SE to keep current of all what it can support.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:08:10 pm by ehab »

Phileosophos

• Community Member
Absolutely. A file manager should provide a file viewer. And that's why practically every file manager does these days, like Windows Explorer, Finder, Directory Opus, Commander, and a host of others. Though to be clear, I'm not saying SlickEdit should necessarily host a web viewer. I just think that if it wants to be any kind of serious editing tool for web development, it should at least provide a built in facility for launching a preview in a browser. Some web editors do it better than others, but every web editor I've used, other than SlickEdit, supplies such a feature in one form or another. That's why I just assumed it was already in SlickEdit, and I just hadn't found it yet.

hs2

• Hero Points: 285
@Phileosophos: SE supports e.g. a 'html-preview' command (of the curr. buffer) using the configured web browser.
You should check the comprehensive docs (Help) for further details.
HS2

Phileosophos

• Community Member
Now that is exactly what I expected was there but I didn't find. Thanks so much!