Author Topic: Old versions  (Read 3168 times)

cltSteve

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Old versions
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »
Another branch of my company is using version 7 of SlickEdit. I have a few questions:

1. Will there be problems if I save project files or workspaces in SlickEdit 15.0.1 and share with them?

2. If yes to #1, will a new license purchased today work with version 7 of SlickEdit?

Thanks!

MartyL

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
  • Synergex
Re: Old versions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:41:26 pm »
Hi cltSteve,

I'm fairly certain that you will have issues sharing projects and workspaces with any version of SlickEdit older than 10 or so.

You probably won't get an answer to your license question here on the forum. Your best bet is to give SlickEdit's Sales dept. a call. To quote one of their reps:

You can reach Sales at sales@slickedit.com or 1-800-934-EDIT (3348) between the hours of 9am-6pm Mon-Fri EST.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Old versions
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
Version 7 used a completely different licensing mechanism from that which we are using now. Up until version mumble-mumble, you had to type in a registration key to activate SlickEdit. Now we use a license file for that purpose.

I would think that if you buy a license for v15 that this would give you the right to use a copy of version 7, though. Sales will have to do some of their magic to make this happen, so you should definitely contact them as suggested by the sagely MartyL.

<SalesPitch>Of course, the best way to make sure that everyone can share is to upgrade everyone to v15. That also gets you 8 more versions of editing awesomeness.</SalesPitch>