Author Topic: Monitor directory tree for new files  (Read 2945 times)

mklein

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Monitor directory tree for new files
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
Hi,

I am new to SlickEdit (I am using v14). Although I use it for source browsing and editing, I do not do everything from within it for a variety of reasons (I build externally, do source control externally, etc.). I feel like what I want to do must be possible but I can't figure out how to do it.

Basically, I would like to pass SlickEdit a directory (or multiple directories) and have SlickEdit monitor those directories for new files / deleted files and automatically re(tag) those files.

It seems like I can only add specific files to a project and then if I do anything externally that might add/remove files I need to manually go through and clean up the files in the project.

Is there a better work flow?

Thanks,
Matt

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Monitor directory tree for new files
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
The macro here can at least take the tedium out of it.  Just list the directories in the ini file, and run "ssync" at the SE command line whenever you want to update the project.

I wish SE would use platform-specific modern technology for some things like this.  E.g. FindFirstChangeNotification on Windows, and probably similar APIs on other platforms.

mklein

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Monitor directory tree for new files
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
Thanks, this is really cool. One feature request (unless I am missing something) would be to process the dir/exclude entries in order. This would be potentially used for something like this:

-- dir1
---- foo-a
---- foo-z
---- bar
---- baz

dir=+"dir1"
exclude="dir1/foo"
dir=+"dir1/foo-h"

Thanks,
Matt