Author Topic: Setting up Android Workspace  (Read 6359 times)

shague

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Setting up Android Workspace
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:02:35 pm »
Looking for suggestions in setting up Android workspaces?

I am writing projects that require Android. I am not changing any of the Android source. I need to write new JAVA and c/c++ code. I want to be able to easily jump through the Android code, though also.

Android is a huge mixture of c/c++ and java code. I have created a workspace that includes all the Android source. That is pretty big since Android also includes the linux kernel, something on the order of 250,000 files. Doing so, though, seems to slow SlickEdit down occasionally. Also using Clearcase so that might cause issues. Just wondering if the fact that all the Android source is in the prject, if that causes problems for the tagging, etc?

Is there a way to add the whole Android source code and just my smaller project such that I can easily move through the Android code also? Also nice to have in one workspace.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 325
Re: Setting up Android Workspace
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:06 am »
You could try using an "auto-updated" tag file.  They're not described very well in the help.  I first learnt about them here http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=72.msg1933#msg1933 in a post by Clark. 

There's also some information in this book  http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wrox.com%2FWileyCDA%2FWroxTitle%2FProfessional-SlickEdit.productCd-0470122153.html&ei=MZtzTNDeII6svgPhh_XXCA&usg=AFQjCNFCYnOUN9DVysgJ0BHgwq8oImesUw

You can have multiple projects in the same workspace but I suspect it will be more efficient to use an "auto-updated" tag file.
To try it, you could do this.  Say your workspace that has the Android code is called workspace A.

1. If you already have a separate workspace for your smaller project you can use that, otherwise create a new workspace and add your smaller project.  Call this workspace B.  If your own project is already part of workspace A, remove it from that workspace.

2. Go to tools menu -> tag files and bring up the tag files dialog.
3. Click on "auto-updated" tag files in the left hand window.
4. Click the "add tag file" button and browse to the tag file for workspace A (it has a .vtg extension) and "open" it.
5. Slickedit will make a copy of the workspace A tag file and associate it to workspace B.  It will probably be located in the same place as the workspace B tag file.

Now you should be able to find symbols in the Android source when workspace B is active.  If you need to re-tag the Android source at any time, you have to open workspace A and re-build the tag file manually.  Then next time you open workspace B (or when you start slick - not sure which), slick will update the copy of the workspace A tag file  - that's why it's called "auto-updating".  You can also use the vsmktags utility to rebuild the workspace A tag file from a command line.

Slickedit help says specifically not to share tag files between two instances of slick but if you open workspace A in one instance of slick and workspace B in another instance, I suspect you can re-build the workspace A tag file while using workspace B in another instance of slick.  I'm not sure what will happen if you open workspace B while another instance of slick (or vsmktags) is updating the workspace A tag file.

Graeme