Author Topic: SlickEdit Product Documentation Now Online!  (Read 13011 times)

Lisa

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
SlickEdit Product Documentation Now Online!
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:18:59 PM »
We briefly interrupt your programming to make this important announcement...

SlickEdit is pleased to introduce the new Product Documentation section of our Web site! From here, potential customers can download Getting Started Guides, User Guides, and more, to learn more details about our products before they decide to buy. This section will also eventually include more downloadable code samples and tutorials for existing customers. To visit the new Product Documentation pages, visit our homepage at www.slickedit.com, then from the menu, choose Support > Product Documentation.

We are always working to make our documentation better for our users. Ongoing goals include turning "how to use it" instructions into "how, WHY, and WHEN to use it" instructions, and providing more specific "use" scenarios. For future releases, we are looking into ways to provide searchable online Help and more frequent Help updates, with the ability to install the latest version of the Help from within the product. Stay tuned for these and more documentation improvements!

As always, comments and suggestions about our docs are greatly appreciated. Post them here in the forums or send e-mail to docs@slickedit.com.

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

aoehlke

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: SlickEdit Product Documentation Now Online!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »
the link in the above mentioned post does not exist.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:50:43 AM »
It is there, at the bottom of the main Support page.  It would be nice if it were in the "Support" drop-down on the website.   ;)

aoehlke

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:30 PM »
all there is, is a link to an email:
docs@sickedit.com.

I had hoped to download the v11 users manual.

unless I am looking in the wrong spot...

Lisa

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »
We are making some mods to the website. For now, if you click on the "Documentation" title in the Support section, it will take you there (that's obvious, huh?). You can also get to the doc pages via this direct link:

http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/439/

As soon as I know where these pages will really live, I'll post a better link. I apologize for the inconvenience.

-Lisa

aoehlke

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »
Ah, I didnt realize "Documention" was a URL.
my bad.

tks

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
We are making some mods to the website. For now, if you click on the "Documentation" title in the Support section, it will take you there (that's obvious, huh?). You can also get to the doc pages via this direct link:

You're kidding about the "obvious", right? :-)

I definitely had to look twice or three times to find this. As has been pointed out, there are two problems:

1) When using a drop-down menu UI such as the menu on slickedit.com, if I see items in a menu under Support, I don't expect to have to click Support itself to get to other items. Think about regular applications: you have some items under the File menu, but (normally) you can't click the File heading itself to do anything. In the web, the normal convention is that clicking the top item takes you to a page with the same links you could reach by following the menu items, so that they are reachable in browsers where the drop-down menus don't work.

2) On the Support page, the two other headings "Product Support" and "Feature Requests" are not links. each is simply a heading, with some text and an email link under it.  The Documentation heading looks just the same, at least on my browser. Unless I happen to hover the mouse over it.

Not obvious! :-)

John Hurst

aoehlke

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
well put.

my sentiments exactly.

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 05:54:51 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to add the constructive suggestions part in my post!

For (1) you could add a "Documentation" menu item under the Support menu, which would link to your documentation page.

For (2) you could put some more "obvious" wording under the Documentation heading on the Support page, which more clearly indicates that there is a link. Alternatively, make the heading look different from the other, non-link, headings.

Keep up the great work, Lisa!

Peace,

John Hurst

Lisa

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »
Aaron, Phil, John - thanks for your support. You made this happen :) I gave you all hero points!

-Lisa

mgweeks

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:04 PM »
On your web page, you start off with "Ever heard the term "RTM"?". Sorry :), in 30+ years as a programmer, I've never seen that used to refer to reading the manual. The correct acronym is "RTFM". To me, "RTM" is used when a product is released to manufacturing.

Lisa

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »
On your web page, you start off with "Ever heard the term "RTM"?". Sorry :), in 30+ years as a programmer, I've never seen that used to refer to reading the manual. The correct acronym is "RTFM". To me, "RTM" is used when a product is released to manufacturing.

I wasn't allowed to use the "F" - I had hoped the meaning would still be clear, and from your post, I think it is ;)

-Lisa

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »
Great posting mgweeks - and a get a HP for it !
Exactly my thoughts when i read it .. well, except the fact that I'm not that experienced ;)

HS2

Lisa

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:44 PM »
Ok, since it bothers more than one of you, I'll change it.

You're no fun  ;D

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:42:44 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D (HP++)
But be aware that I'll check the page ... ;)

HS2