Author Topic: Multiple windows with the same project?  (Read 4712 times)

nlaroche

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Multiple windows with the same project?
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:10:06 PM »
Are there any workarounds (other than "+new" for different solutions) for opening a single solution in multiple windows in Slickedit v15? (e.g. triple monitors, one solution, three files, ...)

Is this something that may be supported in a future version? It's one of the few downsides I've seen to VS v15.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Multiple windows with the same project?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
We have the capability to open multiple editor windows within the SlickEdit application frame, but those windows cannot be dragged outside of the frame. What some people do is to spread the SlickEdit window across multiple monitors and arrange things within that spread so that the windows align with the edges of the monitors. That depends a lot on how your monitors are arranged. Other than that, +new is the only thing I can think of.

We would like to offer this capability, but it isn't something I expect to see soon.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Multiple windows with the same project?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Presumably when you say "solution" you're referring to a Visual Studio project file.

I'm guessing that you only need one application window to have the project/solution file open.  The other two windows just need a list of project files and the tag file.  For the tag file, you could use an auto-updated tag file.  For a list of project files, you might be able to create a new workspace and include the vc project  - not sure about this.  Probably slick-team could come up with a way of doing this.

Graeme