Author Topic: Word highlighting when selected?  (Read 13156 times)

jmoney38

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Word highlighting when selected?
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:51:56 pm »
Hello all,

Would anyone know if Slick Edit has a feature similar to Notepad++, whereby a user can select a word/token and that token will be highlighted throughout the entire file while open?

Thank you

David_O

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: Word highlighting when selected?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:48:01 pm »
Through the menus, try Search > Find... and there should be a check box 'Highlight all matches'

From the command line, try:

/<searchstring>/*#

This is  all for CUA emulation.

jmoney38

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »
Thanks for the post. That is helpful, and I'm glad to know about it, but would you or any other viewers know of a similar technique that would allow for quicker highlighting? e.g.

1. Double click a token to highlight it (funcationality is common among many editors/terminals/word processors)
2. The IDE automatically highlights all instances of that token throughout the text.

This might be something specific to notepad++, but it's by far my most favority feature, and I'm trying to make the move the Slick Edit, and I'm praying this feature is incorporated somewhere!!

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:32:50 am »
Is it ok if it's a single click?

In the Tools|Options dialog, under for example Languages\Application Languages\C/C++\Context Tagging(R), near the bottom of the dialog, is an option "Highlight matching symbols under cursor".

The same option also exists in the Context Tagging(R) node under most languages.

liam.sharp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:52:13 am »
Good tip, I didn't think SlickEdit could do this, coming from a Eclipse background this is something I've really missed. If you would like to make the symbol even easier to spot, have a go at changing the Background color as well.

Tools->Options then under:
Appearance->Colors
Under the Highlighting menu choose Symbol Highlight, untick Inherit from Background color and choose a color - I went for grey as per Eclipse.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 261
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:13 pm »

jmoney38

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:12:30 pm »
@chrisant and @liam.sharp:

This is what I was looking for. There is a slight delay when searching for matching symbols, but that's alright with me! Thank you very much.

Azethoth

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:50 pm »
...This is what I was looking for. There is a slight delay when searching for matching symbols, but that's alright with me!....
I was sort of looking for this (would prefer hilite of just the highlighted text with caps / whole word according to current search)
That would be more useful and actually fast to process.

The massive delay is not all right with me.

So following the links above led me to: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4701.0

I would recommend disabling the built in one and installing the macro from the link. It reacts at the speed I am accustomed to in other IDE's and has better functionality.

Personally I bind
F2 to ToggleSymHighlight
ctrl-F2 to ClearAllSymHighlight
shift-F2 to CycleSymHighlight
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:59:16 pm by Azethoth »