Author Topic: Can the "select symbol" window show the code line of the symbol?  (Read 1131 times)

tal

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Can the "select symbol" window show the code line of the symbol?
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:59 am »

I was wondering if there is an option to change the columns of the "Select Symbol" (Ctrl+Dot) window.
I find it very helpful to see the line of code that the symbol appears in, I can see the line number so I guess it is not that difficult to bring the line itself to the database or dynamically.
I looked at the options and searched the forum, I didn't see an option to do it  ???

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Can the "select symbol" window show the code line of the symbol?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »
The Preview tool window displays the associated line of code for the symbol selected in the Select Symbol dialog. So, make sure that the Preview tool window is visible before you do a Ctrl+Dot, then as you arrow down/up through the list of symbols, you will be able to preview the code location.

I keep the Preview tool window docked and visible at the bottom of the screen. A lot of the time, I don't even have to use Ctrl+Dot to jump to a location because I can see what I need to know in the Preview window.

tal

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Can the "select symbol" window show the code line of the symbol?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:41 pm »

In did I had my preview toolbar close, so I didn't see the line of code.
But still I think it will be quickyer to "scan" a list of symbols with their line of code beside them with my eyes, then to go over a list of symbols
with the up or down keys.

The issue is that I have a lot of macros in my project and they are defined in different location, each location has a diffrent definition
So this gives me a big list with the same symbol name but different definitions, so if I hadthe line of code in the same list I can quickly find the definition
I was looking for.

Is there a way to modify the GUI with some Slick C code maybe?
I had this feature when working with Source Insight and it was very comfortable.