Author Topic: Project management  (Read 3318 times)

Gerhard

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Project management
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:03 am »
Hello,
I am a new triel user and am looking for a Codewright successor.
SlickEdit looks to be a real alternative, but the project management seems to lack something hat was called 'project space' at Codewright.
I often have projects that are similar, but not identical. Every project must have its own unique source code.
On Codewright I could have a lot of projects in the project space, one of them was the active project.
Every search operation was on that project only, but I could quickly switch to another project in the list.

With Slickedit, I have Workspaces that can have serveral projects, one of them being active.
This looks similar to the Codewright approach, but has one big disadvantage for me.
The symbols view lists sysmbols of the workspace and therefore mixes in symbols of completely different programs.

This forces me to use just one preject per workspace, I am missing the top level management.
Maybe there is some way to change Slickedits behaviour

Regards
gerhard.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Project management
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:39 pm »
Our Context Tagging engine does create a tag file for all of the source code in the Workspace. So, in order to have the Context Tagging operations work on different sets of symbols, that source will need to be in a different workspace. You can do search operations on a single project, but they are not as fast as the tagging lookups.

You say that every project has unique source code. Do you typically open files from these different projects simultaneously? If not, you may want to reconsider setting up separate workspaces. You can switch between workspaces very quickly with SlickEdit. Though you would have one project per workspace, that wouldn't take you any longer to create than adding a new project to an existing workspace. That would keep your symbols separated.

I do this a lot for our documentation. Since the SlickEdit product shares much in common with the SlickEdit Core plug-in for Eclipse, we have two workspaces for working on the documentation. They both share some common files but each has the files that are unique to one product or the other. I switch between the two workspaces several times in an editing session, and it's very fast.

If you have some source code that is the same and used in several projects, you can create a SlickEdit project for those and then include that project into different workspaces.

The only thing that would be more difficult is if you wanted files open from two workspaces at the same time. In that case you would have to open them with File > Open or the Open tool window and browse via the directory structure instead of selecting it from the Files or Project tool windows.

Gerhard

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:02 am »
Yes, I sometimes open sourcefiles of different projects. I display them with the 'tile vertically' option to have a side by side view.
This is very fast and the main reason why I am still working with CodeWright.
I have liceneses of another editors but returned to Codewright soon in all cases so far (To be honest, there were other and more important reasons too).
Using a differencing tool would do it too, but this is slower and need more mouseclicks.
In addition difference tools usually shows uninteresting things like changes in whitespace.

I added a picture of a typical ProjectSpace where the sourcelist of two projects are opened.

Yesterday I asked for a trial license of the eclipse version just to find out, if it handles projects differently than the full Slickedit version.
However, it could not be installed, Slickedit treats the trial license file "SE_WBEC_TRIAL_9999_Sachs.lic" as invalid.

Regards
Gerhard

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
The SlickEdit Core product, our plug-in for Eclipse, relies on the project management system of Eclipse. That is, we work with Eclipse Workspaces and Projects. Within Eclipse, each project gets its own tag file and the Symbols view (equivalent of tool window) displays the symbols in all of those tag files with a separate subtree for each. So you would be able to browse them separately but not search them in the Symbols view separately.

I can't say what might be wrong with your trial license. It's best to call Product Support and get some help. They should be able to figure out what's wrong. The phone number here is 1.919.473.0070.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:33:18 pm »
I downloaded a new trial license from the website and tried it with SlickEdit Core, and everything worked just fine. The file name you gave is clearly a Core license file. How did you install the license file?

Gerhard

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:54:09 am »
I followed the steps in the "Trial Download Directions" document for Eclipse 3.5.
Maybe the problem is the Eclipse version, I used the 3.6 Helios Version.
I did this, since somewhere in the newsgrous a post from your company talks about compatibilty of that version to the SlickEdit core.

Since Eclipse does not need any installation, it should be easy to give 3.5 a try.
I will do this and notify you.

Regards
gerhard

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 02:40:30 pm »
The license is not tied to the version of Eclipse. If you were able to install and run Core v3.5 on Eclipse 3.6, then the license should work for it.

Our trial licenses are specific to the OS and the machine you requested the license on. Could that be the source of the problem?  Our full licenses are not tied to the machine, but you do purchase them for Windows or Linux.