Author Topic: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders  (Read 4393 times)

abushnell

  • Guest
Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »
Hello,

We have a visual STudio solution file with several projects.. To help us organize these, we make use of the Solution folders feature in Visual Studio to cleanup/neatup the solution view etc... When I open this Solution in Visual SlickEdit, it appears that the solution folders are not properly supported and our entire solution flattened etc.. Is this a know issue? Are you looking to support this anytime soon?

I can provide a small example if need be to demonstrate the issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Scott H

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 240
  • Hero Points: 9
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »
This was fixed in version 15.0.1.  Can you tell me which version of SlickEdit you are running?  Also, what version of Visual Studio are you using?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:26:55 pm by Scott H »

abushnell

  • Guest
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:32:12 pm »
I am using Slickedit 15.0.1.3 and opening a Visual STudio 2008 SLN File, though we will be migrating to 2010.

Scott H

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 240
  • Hero Points: 9
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:09:48 pm »
I just made a VS 2008 solution with nested solution folders and several projects, and I can't reproduce the problem.  I've zipped that up and attached it, can you try opening it in SlickEdit and see if you are having the same problems?

abushnell

  • Guest
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »
I tried what you had zipped up and it worked fine for me in both SlickEdit and Visual Studio, however, our solution still had problems.. In looking it over, I believe I have discovered the issue. I am posting an updated version of the zip you sent that updates things to demonstrate the problem. In short, it has to do with not supporting dependencies properly and getting confused when dealing with solutions that have project dependencies set, as we do. All I did in your sample was in Visual Studio 2008, I right clicked the CPP Project and added a couple dependencies on the CSharp and one of the VB. and then saved. When I opened the solution in SlickEdit, VOILA, I saw the same/similar issues as with our solution. When I went back into Visual Studio and removed the dependencies, it all went back to normal, working fine.

- Andrew
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:27:22 pm by abushnell »

pvonkaenel

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 211
  • Hero Points: 6
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »
I see the same thing in my multi-project solution with dependencies.  I'd also really like to see a complete fix for this issue.

Peter

Scott H

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 240
  • Hero Points: 9
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »
Alright, I definitely see what you're seeing.  I've found the root of the problem too, so I should have a fix for this before too long.  Again, thanks for the sample, that really helped a lot.

abushnell

  • Guest
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:48:09 pm »
Thanks Scott!

abushnell

  • Guest
Re: Visual Studio Solution and Solution Folders
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »
Hello Scott,

I see that the latest hotfix was updated to include your fix and I gave it a try. MUCH BETTER THANKS!  However, our solution still had a couple of projects that when I opened the solution in Visual SlickEdit did not appear in their proper solution folders etc.. I have been able to update the test case to show similar behaviour, even with your fix. The attached zip is the sample updated with some additional projects and dependency settings that is similar to some of our project dependency settings that when opened in Visual slickedit (including the latest hotfix) demonstrates similar behaviour to what I am seeing.

Thanks again!

- Andrew