Author Topic: customizing OS Shell.  (Read 5099 times)

afflictedd2

customizing OS Shell.
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

For a while I have been looking for a better Shell, rather than the
crappy one Windows has. It's called terminator http://software.jessies.org/terminator/.

I was wondering, is it possible to change Slickedit's default OS Shell to this.

Ted.

richb

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: customizing OS Shell.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
I think you misunderstand. Terminator is not a shell, it's a terminal emulator.

There are ports of bash/ksh/sh for Windows if that's what you want. There's also Take Command (http://www.jpsoft.com). I don't know how to make the SlickEdit "Build" window use these instead of cmd.exe. If you find out let us know.

jero

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:24:47 AM »
I don't know if you can replace the slickedit default shell (I doubt you can), here we simply use the cygwin shells a lot, by simply calling  bash -c <your command> or sh -c <your command> in various c-slick macros and projects commands.

Sometimes you have to be careful with commands like gdb or find, find conflicts with the DOS FIND command (make sure you call /usr/bin/find for ex.), and slickedit has its own gdb which might conflict too.

Regarding terminals, since we can't replace the thing used in the build window, we have a couple of macros that open the terminal of our choice (mintty at the moment) directly at various locations, like "from currently active buffer's parent directory" or "from currently active project directory". Those are easy to make and extremely handy.

I hope that helps.

evanratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
If you're talking about changing the shell that runs in the .process window, I think it's controlled with the def_ntshell variable. Try running on the command line:

set-var def_ntshell <path-to-shell>

For instance, mine is set to:
c:\4nt500\4nt.exe
to use 4nt.

At least, I *think* that's how I did it... it's been a long while.