Author Topic: Open with an other programming language  (Read 3619 times)

definelife

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Open with an other programming language
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
Hi,

I am using slickedit in OpenEdge environment for 4GL. In some cases I want to start new editor (in a new window) for javascript bu I don't know how to do.
Does anyone know how can I start slickedit for different languages at the same session?

Thanks in advanced,

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Open with an other programming language
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »
Within a single instance of SlickEdit, you can open as many files of as many different types as you'd like. You don't have to do anything special. The default setting in SlickEdit is "One window per file" (Under Tools > Options > Editing > Editor Windows: Files per window. With this, each file you open has it's own window. You can arrange the windows with the entries on the Window menu. You can change that to "Multiple files share window" if you prefer to manage the windows separate.

Many of the benefits of SlickEdit come from adding your files to a project, which allows SlickEdit to tag your files. You can have files of different kinds within a project, but it makes the most sense to have a project be a set of files that are related. The primary distinction of a project is that it can be built. So, in languages like C++, you would have a project for each library or executable that is built in your program. In languages like Java, there is little reason to break your source into multiple projects, except that you can use a project to limit the scope of search operations. 

You can have multiple projects in a workspace, each with different languages; but all of the source in a workspace will share a single tag file. So, you may get false positives when the tagging engine looks up a symbol in a file in one language and finds a match for it in a file of a different type. So, it's best to separate those kinds of files into different workspaces. Switching workspaces is very fast, and you can still open files that are not in the workspace.

If you are looking to run a second instance of SlickEdit, use the +new option on the OS command line. Be sure to check out the user guide. There's good information in there about workspaces and projects. See Introduction > Startup and Exit > Invocation Options for a table of command line arguments.

I hope this helps!